TDS Meter tes results...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty sure you're measuring the conductivity of saltwater using that meter. (Personally I think refractometers are still more accurate or at least easier to understand 8O )

Using Conductivity To Measure Salinity states full strength SW is 53 ms but doesn't have a conversion table to outline what other readings are.

Also the What is TDS? article should help as well.

I see you have bbcode down now :D

It looks like it does test multipule things the readings on the tank are too high for that meter the 10 should be blinking where as on a reef it should be at 50 too high for that meter to register... MS is the conductivity ....
in short great for RO/DI water or distilled water or even tap but not salt in the tank as it can not register that high

Ok, so I test my tap and want it as close to 0, right? This is without a RO/DI, which is arriving today. I already have a refractometer. I just assumed the TDS meter measured something other than conductivity.

+++EDIT+++
Ok, thanks for those links, tec.
I am thinking, this one is mainly used to test my RO/DI, to see if the membranes need to be changed.
I just tested my tank water for the heck of it...well, it also tests the pH.
Now I have to figure out what else it tests, since the directions were some what Greek.

+++EDIT AGAIN+++
Yeah I have a basic understanding of BB Code, thanks to you! LOL!

Your tap is probably 50+ ro/di should be 0

roka64 said:
I just assumed the TDS meter measured something other than conductivity.
It probably does but you have to be a chemistry professor to understand it since the 2 page manual is a bit of a joke.

Have you emailed tech@hannainst.com to ask what the readings mean yet?

I tested my tap and got .34 ppt and .63 ms.
I will sned the email, thanks for the advice, both of you....PS I am on well water, if that makes a difference.

no on the RO/DI finished product
FYI I called them for you they said it was worthless on reef tank water that is why I posted the long and short above

Sadielynn said:
no on the RO/DI finished product
FYI I called them for you they said it was worthless on reef tank water that is why I posted the long and short above
Thanks for calling, I had also sent an email and they responded really fast. Here is what they said:
Scott,

The meter measure conductivity and TDS (total dissolved solids). The
lower
the read the purer the water. If you are using an RO system for your
tanks
the reading going into the RO filter will be higher than what is coming
out.
The Dist 6 only reads up to 19.99mS. Your salt water tank is going to
read
out of the meters range.

Back
Top Bottom