Users of Spiral Flourescent Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copepod

Aquarium Advice Activist
I, personally, love these bulbs and use them for my Chaeto and refugium...they are very bright, energy efficient, and useful for small areas. However, I was reading the box last night and noticed that they should not be used with timers and certain other equipment and felt I should post this as I know lots of you use timers on your lights..

Just a FYI....

Curly

Are you sure it didn't say dimmers? Only special CFL's are supposed to used with a dimmer (dimmable?). They claim it could lessen the life of the bulb. Never heard of them not being recommended for timers though most packages say that the timer has to be compatible with CFL's. They claim some of the timer 'parts' are incompatible with CFLs'. Go figure since the timer simple regulates the current on of off well before the lamp just like a normal light switch. Crap if u ask me. I could understand if it was a highly repeatable timer (off on off on off on) as these bulbs aren't recommended in applications where the lights are turned off and on multiple times..

What brand and model did you read that??

Last edited:
I have to agree with Ahab. I don't see what the difference would be if I turn the light switch on/off myself or have a timer turn it on/off.

Blast it !!! Just wrote my reply and it flashed and is gone...will try again...I will type exactly what the instructions say:

This product complies with Part 18 of the FCC Rules, but may cause interference to radios, televisions, wireless telephones, and remote controls. Avoid placing this product near these devises. If interference occurs, move the product away from the device or plug either into a different outlet. Do not install this product near maritime safety equipment or other critical navigation or communication equipment operating between 0.45-30 MHz. Not intended for use with emergency exit fixtures or lights, electronic timers, photocells, or with dimmers.

The box contains 4 bulbs called Daylight and the brand is Bright Effects. They are 60W and supposed to use only 15W. They are extremely bright and list also a daylight K of 6500. I purchased them at Lowes for $9.00.

Hope this helps...won't edit so this doesn't fly away !!! I don't understand electricity...is this bulb OK to use?

Curly

I use the X-10 system and have found the lamp modules will not work as they are dimmable. The appliance modules will work as it uses a relay instead of a electronic switch. I use these for lights (on timer) and pumps (remote control). For some types of small lamps that won't work with this system may work with the old school timer that has a dial that turns like a clock. If it doesn't work save your receipt and take it back.

I hope this helps.

Yup... what ezy said - the key is "electronic" timer, but even that's not entirely true. The best bet is to look at your timer and see what it says. If the timer is not compatible with CF bulbs, it will say so.

I have an electronic timer for my outside lights, and it's not compatible with CF. But the timer on my CF tank bulbs is technically electronic (no little clock dial thingie) but it is OK with CF bulbs. It all has to do with how the off/on contact is done.

Back
Top Bottom