using a python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 7 tanks set up and running. To this point I have been doing traditional bucket system on water changes.. I wax thinking about getting a python system as I've heard people recommend them.. my question is, how do you treat the water while using the python? Is it worth the extra money or is it simply a hose?

pantherspawn said:
I currently have 7 tanks set up and running. To this point I have been doing traditional bucket system on water changes.. I wax thinking about getting a python system as I've heard people recommend them.. my question is, how do you treat the water while using the python? Is it worth the extra money or is it simply a hose?

It's worth the extra money... Definitely! You treat the water by dosing the amount before you put the water back in.

pantherspawn said:

I have an Aqueon version. I only have one 55 gallon and had to.get one the other week. My back was killing me. I can't imagine how sore your back is from 7. I use prime exclusively now. I treat the entire capacity of my tank when doing water changes. So with that it is a capful and a little bit more for my 55 gallon. Even if I change 50 ish percent, I treat the 55 gallon dose. I.know.you didn't ask this but...Try amazon.com or.somewhere other than the large.chain pet stores. I paid way too much. But my back is better and so are my fish. I actually enjoy water changes now. Just make sure you have the temp right when you use the thing. Match it as best you can.

Dosing after the water is in the tank doesn't harm the fish or beneficial bacteria?

pantherspawn said:
Dosing after the water is in the tank doesn't harm the fish or beneficial bacteria?

You dose before you add the water back.

pantherspawn said:

Best thing to do is turn your filter off to prevent any chlorinated water from being sucked up into the filter media before the Prime has a chance to detoxify it.

Deckape is exactly right. Turn off the filter, drain all the water you are removing, add Prime directly to your tank based off the total volume (not just the water you're replacing), swish it around real good and add temp matched water directly back into the tank. It's the way we all do it with Pythons and other water changers...and I've never heard of a bad reaction from it.

Does it matter if my water contains chloramines? I'd hate to do anything that would upset the balance in my tanks. Also, does the python have a shutoff valve at the tank to keep water from running before you move on to the next? I know its a dumb question but I'd hate to order it first and find out it didn't.

pantherspawn said:
Does it matter if my water contains chloramines? I'd hate to do anything that would upset the balance in my tanks. Also, does the python have a shutoff valve at the tank to keep water from running before you move on to the next? I know its a dumb question but I'd hate to order it first and find out it didn't.

I'd recommend going with the Aqueon like Deckape has. Honestly, my Python sprays all over the place when I close the valve. A towel over the sink is mandatory, lol. The shutoff valve and where it connects to the tap is really cheap plastic.

I believe if you have high chloramines content you're supposed to add a double dose of Prime. I do have lots of chloramines in my water and I add about a cap and a half for my 48 gallon during each PWC.

Deckape, is that Aqueon holding together well? It doesn't spray like mine does it?

Yeah i generally double the prime. Leaves me with about .25 ammo for about half hour after the pwc until the bacteria removes it. Though I know the prime makes the ammo non toxic form.

How long is the hose on the python? I've got tanks in quite a few different rooms.. and does it attach to tubs and different sink types? Ie my kitchen sink has the removable hose attachment that gives out different spray types. And my bathroom is probably 50 feet away from the furthest tank.

pantherspawn said:

Just use your water conditioner at the chloromine dosage for the entire capacity of your tank after turning off the filters and removing the amount of water you desire. They have shut off valves. I was suspicious too so I completely understand. There are no dumb questions oh by the way. If you aren't using prime, I recommend it because it detoxifys the ammonia left behind by the removing of the bonds of the chloromine. However it is still available to your bacteria to consume because after the chloromine bonds are broken then ammonia is the by product. It is worth it to use prime and water changers together.

eco23 said:
I'd recommend going with the Aqueon like Deckape has. Honestly, my Python sprays all over the place when I close the valve. A towel over the sink is mandatory, lol. The shutoff valve and where it connects to the tap is really cheap plastic.

I believe if you have high chloramines content you're supposed to add a double dose of Prime. I do have lots of chloramines in my water and I add about a cap and a half for my 48 gallon during each PWC.

Deckape, is that Aqueon holding together well? It doesn't spray like mine does it?

Not at all, thanks for staying on me until I finally caved in and got it!!! Its a lifesaver

pantherspawn said:
Yeah i generally double the prime. Leaves me with about .25 ammo for about half hour after the pwc until the bacteria removes it. Though I know the prime makes the ammo non toxic form.

How long is the hose on the python? I've got tanks in quite a few different rooms.. and does it attach to tubs and different sink types? Ie my kitchen sink has the removable hose attachment that gives out different spray types. And my bathroom is probably 50 feet away from the furthest tank.

Mine is 25ft. I got it for about $29 online from a place called William Tricker Water Gardens (sorry to any mods if I'm advertising...not familiar with the rules on that :-/ ). Remember the Prime doesn't remove the ammo, it binds with it but will still show the full amount until the BB consumes it like you said. It's basically a false positive as long as you've added the Prime (I think you already know this, sorry for repeating).

It'll attach to any threaded spigot. It may be an issue with your kitchen sprayer though...

Yes I use prime and prime only.. go through about a bottle a month and swear by that stuff.. my first tank setup I used the stuff that came with it along with the "bacteria kit" that PETCO sold me. Had screwed up tests and water parameters for weeks.

Actually, after thinking about it...it'll work in the kitchen. You've just got to be careful when you remove the sprayer to not drop the hose part cause it'll retract back down under the sink and you've gotta fish it out.

eco23 said:

I don't have any leaks and use the bathroom sink as I have a fancy fancy kitchen faucet. It comes with an adapter for bathroom faucets. I paid..90 dollars at the petco for the 50 footer.

Deckape said:
Just use your water conditioner at the chloromine dosage for the entire capacity of your tank after turning off the filters and removing the amount of water you desire. They have shut off valves. I was suspicious too so I completely understand. There are no dumb questions oh by the way. If you aren't using prime, I recommend it because it detoxifys the ammonia left behind by the removing of the bonds of the chloromine. However it is still available to your bacteria to consume because after the chloromine bonds are broken then ammonia is the by product. It is worth it to use prime and water changers together.

Yeah I know this about questions and tell others the same.. but being a computer programmer I know how irritating questions repeated over and over can be haha. I think I've read more about fish and setups in the last month than I have in my entire life combined.. and its amazing how much conflicting information is out there.. so I tend to be aa little reduntant on the questions side. Thanks to those of you that take time out of your day to help others.. I'm just glad there are some things I can give back as well.

pantherspawn said:
Yes I use prime and prime only.. go through about a bottle a month and swear by that stuff.. my first tank setup I used the stuff that came with it along with the "bacteria kit" that PETCO sold me. Had screwed up tests and water parameters for weeks.

Sorry I didn't know when I jumped on the soap box

Fosters and smith has the Lee's ultimate brand?.. for $60 for the 50 footer.. any info on the brand and durability? Or the aqueon 50 footer is $50 with faucet attachement and flow valve

Last edited:
pantherspawn said:
Fosters and smith has the Lee's ultimate brand?.. for $60 for the 50 footer.. any info on the brand and durability?

A friend of mine has a Marina (I think?) brand water changer. He said it's actually a company owned by Fluval. I think he paid a pretty penny for it, but he said it's all brass fittings and not cheap plastic like I've got on my Python. He loves it.

eco23 said:
A friend of mine has a Marina (I think?) brand water changer. He said it's actually a company owned by Fluval. I think he paid a pretty penny for it, but he said it's all brass fittings and not cheap plastic like I've got on my Python. He loves it.

I guess the lees one has "metal faucet connections" for an extra 8 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom