UV sterilizer info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got sick and tired of "green water" and finally decided to go with UV sterilizer. Having some basic information about it, I still have some questions:
- Since I use power filter, do I need to buy a water pump, or are there UVs with water movement device?
- I've read that some pumps can be placed inside the tank. I think it's not a bad way to avoid any outside plumbing tubing in case something gets wrong. However, how hot do water pumps get and how much can they increase the water temperature?
- I've read that UV quartz sleeves must be cleaned periodically. It is even recomended to connect UV to a canister filter outlet. However, since I don't use canister filter, how often would I have to clean the sleeves and how much trouble is it?
- What size would be optimal for 72 gal tank. Is that 15W?
- Which brand UVs are considered the best value? I've heard good words about GAMMA UVs and also know that AQUA UVs have a wiper inside to clean sleeve without opening the unit. However, AQUA costs $173 and GAMMA only $104 in drsfoster&smith. Is AQUA better value only because the wiper?
- How long bulbs last? I know only that AQUA clames their bulbs last 14 months.

I know that's a lot of questions. But, with your help the fish will be healthier and the tank will look better with is why we are in this hobby!

I can't help you, but one person that comes to mind that uses a UV is Tony Starks. If you sent him a PM I'm sure he would be glad to help. :D

Some UV sterilizers come with pumps, some do not. If I were you, I'd get the largest sterilizer you can afford (you cannot over-dose it, 15w should do great) and I'd strongly recommend getting one with a sleeve wiper device. This needs to be done every 2-3 months and some manufacturers recommend you change the bulb every 6 months. You don't necessarily wait until the bulb has burnt out to change it. Taking the thing apart and cleaning the sleeve is a pain, and sometimes you can damage the bulb or cause a leak by not putting it back together properly, so a sleeve would save you tons of headaches later. Mine is old school and I'd be much better about maintaining it if it was easier to deal with, lol.

There is some reading in our articles section here at AA that might help you:

http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=39

newhobbist said:
I've got sick and tired of "green water" and finally decided to go with UV sterilizer. Having some basic information about it, I still have some questions:
- Since I use power filter, do I need to buy a water pump, or are there UVs with water movement device?
- I've read that some pumps can be placed inside the tank. I think it's not a bad way to avoid any outside plumbing tubing in case something gets wrong. However, how hot do water pumps get and how much can they increase the water temperature?
- I've read that UV quartz sleeves must be cleaned periodically. It is even recomended to connect UV to a canister filter outlet. However, since I don't use canister filter, how often would I have to clean the sleeves and how much trouble is it?
- What size would be optimal for 72 gal tank. Is that 15W?
- Which brand UVs are considered the best value? I've heard good words about GAMMA UVs and also know that AQUA UVs have a wiper inside to clean sleeve without opening the unit. However, AQUA costs $173 and GAMMA only $104 in drsfoster&smith. Is AQUA better value only because the wiper?
- How long bulbs last? I know only that AQUA clames their bulbs last 14 months.

I know that's a lot of questions. But, with your help the fish will be healthier and the tank will look better with is why we are in this hobby!

With a 72 g and the need for a pump, your best bet would be the 36 watt Jebo UV. Its about 1/4 the price of similar power UVs and even comes with a pump, which most of them do not. Search Ebay for one, it shouldn't run you more than $100. Some people complain about the quality of Jebos, but I think as long as you don't get a defective unit right off the bat (which you should be able to get replaced for free) it should be fine. Good luck, a UV is not only going to make you water so clear it looks like bottled water, but protect your fishes from disease as well.

I can't help you, but one person that comes to mind that uses a UV is Tony Starks. If you sent him a PM I'm sure he would be glad to help.
Thank you! I've done just that.

With a 72 g and the need for a pump, your best bet would be the 36 watt Jebo UV. Its about 1/4 the price of similar power UVs and even comes with a pump, which most of them do not. Search Ebay for one, it shouldn't run you more than $100.
Thanks. How long does bulb last in Jebo UV? How much does it cost?
I found 36W Jebo UVs on eBay for about $100 including S&H and there are some sellers who offer return policy. So far this sterilizer looks like clear winner because Aqua UV sells for about $190 plus $30 for water pump.
However...
If Aqua UV bulbs last twice as long as Jebos and cost similarly, then I will get confused about what to buy.

Froogle your replacement bulbs for both brands and see what you come up with - that will include ebay sources. Replacing the bulbs every six months is recommended, no matter what brand you buy.

I have heard mixed reviews about Jebo equipment but there is no question the price is right. My green water was completely gone in about 36 hours when I installed mine, and I swear the water is clearer now than ever. I am sure you will be happy once you get it going.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom