Vintage Metal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking once I've let it sit and cycle (and stabilize temperature) for a week, I'd love to do a shrimp + betta combo. Of course, I'm concerned about space, but I'd rather have a betta than anything.

Does anyone have suggestions? I see RCS on eBay a lot (aquaticmagic is the seller I usually go to for plants and they have shrimp too), but would Amazon be better? Would 3-5 shrimp plus a betta be too much?
I live in St. Louis MO, and independent fishy stores are few and far between. I figured I'd get a betta from PetCo when the time came.

You could do a fish-in (or shrimp-in) cycle as long as you keep up with the water changes. Test frequently.
I would check in the AA classified section for RCS and see who is selling them. You could put in a "I'm looking for RCS" post there as well.
I am wary about receiving livestock this time of year, but that's me.
I have had better success with RCS from AA members than the ones from the LFS. I cannot comment on the ones from eBay/Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking once I've let it sit and cycle (and stabilize temperature) for a week, I'd love to do a shrimp + betta combo. Of course, I'm concerned about space, but I'd rather have a betta than anything.

Does anyone have suggestions? I see RCS on eBay a lot (aquaticmagic is the seller I usually go to for plants and they have shrimp too), but would Amazon be better? Would 3-5 shrimp plus a betta be too much?
I live in St. Louis MO, and independent fishy stores are few and far between. I figured I'd get a betta from PetCo when the time came.

Bioload-wise, it would be fine in my opinion. However, just as a heads up, many bettas don't coexist well with rcs. Especially not in smaller tanks. Bettas tend to hunt them down one by one. Sometimes it works, but from what I have seen, those times are the minority. I suggest all shrimp, or else just a betta. Maybe a betta and some ghost shrimp?

Hmmm... Maybe I'll start with shrimp and then introduce the betta. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews online about it and it seems to just depend on the fish.

Has anyone had experience with the baby bettas at PetCo? I was considering them, figuring/hoping if it grows up with shrimp, it'll care less about them as food.

I had a baby betta in with rcs, he would ram them and they'd keel over and die.. it was like a game for him..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm... Maybe I'll start with shrimp and then introduce the betta. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews online about it and it seems to just depend on the fish.

Has anyone had experience with the baby bettas at PetCo? I was considering them, figuring/hoping if it grows up with shrimp, it'll care less about them as food.

My last betta was a baby from PetCo. Didn't keep him with anything but he lived for almost 5 years.

I think the only seller on Amazon is InvertObsession, which is aquaticarts.com

I've ordered RCS from Bobs Tropical Plants, Shrimp USA, and a couple of different eBay sellers.

A lot of people on here sell RCS. I got mine from majbarsalona and they are great.

Here is a link for aquarium clubs and societies in your state: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aqauriumclubs/p/Missouri-Aquarium-Clubs.htm
MASI (Missouris Aquarium Society, Inc) is having an auction FEB 8th at the Crowne Plaza Hotel (airport). You should check it out and/or check out the fish club. It may make up for the lack of LFS' in your area.
No, I don't belong to those clubs. Been to St Louis once many, many years ago.

Fresh, if I could "like" posts on here, I'd definitely like that one.
That's a fantastic restore, thank you!

On a different note.. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/ideas about a slightly floating corner filter? I slid some nuts over the air tube and it worked perfectly.. Until I realized they were stainless steel and they started to corrode. It's driving me absolutely mental and it's half the reason I haven't put anyone in the tank yet. :/

If the stainless steel started to corrode, then perhaps it had other metals mixed in.
Maybe you could try attaching a suction cup or two to the base of the filter with super glue.

Yea.. That's likely it, or it had a zinc coating. Super annoying.

Maybe I'll have to give the suction cup thing a try! I'm sure I've got a couple ransoms laying about.
Would superglue or silicon be better for attaching to the plastic?

I would try super glue first. Won't have to wait as long as with silicone.

This is a good point. I'll report back when I've given it a go!

(Two weeks later...)

Okay, so I had a different idea.

Silicone is waterproof right? Safe for Aqua use, right? What if I covered a bunch of metal weights in it?

So I did. Covered all the original nuts in silicone and then "disguised" it by packing gravel onto it.
Took forever because I did each side at least twice, but now I think it's pretty awesome - my filter is now mostly hidden behind a piece of driftwood and you can pretend it's a gravel mountain behind the driftwood!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424878718.111095.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424878739.374767.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424878769.844012.jpg

I may have also been hard at work getting a bunch of pretty plants... :D I'm so in love with my tank. You folks are the absolute BEST.

(And no, I haven't gotten any better at silicone since I first started. I keep forgetting about fumes and I definitely keep getting it all over my hands haha)

Tank looked nice and lush.
Very creative with the silicone and gravel. It should work although in hindsight I suppose you could have used a rock.
You and silicone...I envision kindergarteners and finger painting for some reason.

Tank looked nice and lush.
Very creative with the silicone and gravel. It should work although in hindsight I suppose you could have used a rock.
You and silicone...I envision kindergarteners and finger painting for some reason.

The problem I was having with rocks is that I couldn't find any that would just sit there and be /heavy/, you know? There's not that much room between the air tube place and the wall. Trust me, I went digging for rocks in all my tanks looking haha

And no comment about the silicone. >_> ;)

The problem I was having with rocks is that I couldn't find any that would just sit there and be /heavy/, you know? There's not that much room between the air tube place and the wall. Trust me, I went digging for rocks in all my tanks looking haha

And no comment about the silicone. >_> ;)

Gotcha about the rock and limited space.
Ha ha too late!!!
uKjnYwA.png

Your tank looks great and plants look wonderful! My husband looked and said "Hey I recognize those plants" :lol::lol:

I had to reseal my 30 gal aquarium and I totally understand what you went through, but luckily my hubby is a carpenter and even though he knows nothing about aquariums he knows how to reseal a tank because he knows how to caulk!

The little corner filter you have, I have along with a HOB in my 30 gal tank. I just use it for an extra bio filter, it wants to float anytime I take it completely out of tank to clean, but all I have to do is hold it down long enough for media inside of it to completely saturate and it will remain underwater. It does work great for a bio filter in a small tank.

What are you using for ferts? Your plants do look wonderful

Back
Top Bottom