Vintage Metal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
awesome tank! I'd go with blue shrimp. Blue would present a nice contrast to the other colors or red even would look nice.

Here's a pic of the filter before I put it in - I have gravel in the bottom but maybe I'll pull it out and add more?

I've got some grass hiding some of it, and I printed off a dark blue background today at work, so I'm hoping that that helps hide it, without it losing the vintage look lol

You guys are amazing

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421125648.390302.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421125648.390302.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 76
I think it's a combo of the sponge, the lightweight ceramic media and the air that's bubbling through the whole thing. Weirdly enough, it floats more on one side than the other haha

There's very little in life that's worse than finding out there's a pinhole leak in your tank somewhere.

If I go over all the seams, being sure to touch glass on all sides, do you guys think that'll work in sealing it? It's such a tiny leak.
Top of the tape was the 1/12 at 9pm and the water line was the next day at 5pm.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421271112.865490.jpg

If your heat is cranking it could just be evaporation, in my open top 5.5 gal I lose about 3/8" a day. Do you see any signs of water on the exterior or underneath the tank?
Edit- late to the party,.love that little retro party monster! Is the air already running?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I think that is normal evaporation occurring. Especially this time of the year. Are you seeing any moisture at the bottom of the tank on the exterior corners?
What kind of top is on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the filter going, I keep my apartment around 72 when I'm home and 65 otherwise (for the winter). There's no top to it yet. I'd kill to chalk it up to evaporation, but the water underneath the tank that peeled the (admittedly also vintage) varnish off my table says otherwise.
It's still so early in the game that I don't mind so much being safe than sorry, but blahhhh I want my fishy tank to be bubbly and pretty! :)

If the air bubbles are going than it will evaporate that much faster.. just keep gallon jug next to the tank stand.. easy..

No top, prolly evap.
Next time you do a big WC, you may want to consider putting something between the tank and table. A sheet of styrofoam, rubber shelf lining, or something water proof and cushiony. Actually, cushiony is optional since the tank has a metal frame. But something the protect the furniture from water stains and damage.

There was water underneath the tank though.. Both when I first set up and again when I put a baking sheet under it to double check.

There was no heater in there yet otherwise I'd also want to lean towards evaporation, but as it stood, it was chilly, bubbly water in a chilly, quiet apartment.

My silicon should arrive today though! Do you guys think that just going over the old (looks new) silicon will be alright, as long as I touch the glass on each side?

Don't know. Have never had to repair a leak. IMO The metal frame hides the corners so the silicone job does not have to be "neat".
Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chime in.

On a standard tank I'd say take it apart, with that though? ? Scrape out old, clean with acetone and apply new generously.

If the old silicon is "new" then hopefully it can be removed without too much trouble. The vintage tank I used to have had a black, tar like sealant on all seams.

There was water underneath the tank though.. Both when I first set up and again when I put a baking sheet under it to double check.

There was no heater in there yet otherwise I'd also want to lean towards evaporation, but as it stood, it was chilly, bubbly water in a chilly, quiet apartment.

My silicon should arrive today though! Do you guys think that just going over the old (looks new) silicon will be alright, as long as I touch the glass on each side?

I had low success with sealing over but sealants should of improved in 20 years. The tank would be fine for a bit and then start re-leaking.

I found that if the leak is high up than you have a chance as less water pressure over the leak area.

GUYS.

YOU ALL SUCK.

hahaha omg so some things I learned today (SINCE NO ONE TOLD ME):

- When squeezing silicone out of a tube, FIND A CAULKING GUN. Your hands WILL fall off. I'm typing this with my nose.
- If you have fingernails, DON'T use the pad of your finger to spread the seal. You will end up with fingernails sealed to your actual fingers.
- DON'T STICK YOUR HEAD INSIDE THE TANK YOU ARE SEALING. It's instinct to get a better look at what you're doing, but DON'T.
- Find out how to clean up BEFORE YOU START. My hands will forever be sticky but it's okay because they fell off (see first bullet).

:p

GUYS.

YOU ALL SUCK.

hahaha omg so some things I learned today (SINCE NO ONE TOLD ME):

- When squeezing silicone out of a tube, FIND A CAULKING GUN. Your hands WILL fall off. I'm typing this with my nose.
- If you have fingernails, DON'T use the pad of your finger to spread the seal. You will end up with fingernails sealed to your actual fingers.
- DON'T STICK YOUR HEAD INSIDE THE TANK YOU ARE SEALING. It's instinct to get a better look at what you're doing, but DON'T.
- Find out how to clean up BEFORE YOU START. My hands will forever be sticky but it's okay because they fell off (see first bullet).

:p

You tube could have answered all that in a 2 min video :p

Omg your above post made lol. I love your tank I hope you are able to repair the leak. I really want to see it all set up and flourishing.

Back
Top Bottom