Wave maker / power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to put a wave maker system in my new 90 reef. I would like to put the vortechs in but they are just too expensive. Anyone have suggestions for a good system?

Tunze are the next best option, but they aren't that much cheaper if you are looking to add in the controller and the fancy stuff. Maybe you should just pinch the pennies a bit harder for awhile.
Tunze Stream - English

Thanks. I always liked the koralia PHs but i had heard that the older models didn't do well with wave makers and froze up after a while. Looks like a good option.

I've never been a huge fan of Koralias personally. They get gummed up and wear out really fast IME. I have to literally kick start the couple I have left when I turn them on.

Do you have any experience with the EVO's? Any better?

I have 4 Koralia 4's and 1 Koralia 3 (the original style). All have been running flawlessly for almost 3 yrs now. I clean mine in vinegar every few months because they get coated with coralline, but that would happen with any powerhead. What gets gummed up and wears out on yours?

I'm not sure, they get some sort of nasty slime in on the magnetic part and you can visibly tell they aren't outputting what they used to. When I plug my nano in, it kinda hums like it is trying to turn but something is locked in there, I have to poke the impeller a couple times before it flips over and kicks.

Back
Top Bottom