What is THE Most Powerful Consumer-Accessible Air Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
It seems like my Tetra Whisper 60 pump is getting ready to take the proverbial crap on me (I returned a few of these already since setting up my 60-gallon two and a half years ago, in addition to a Whisper 100 because they just didn't seem to last) and I need to find a really powerful, potent pump to replace it with...

Some background: I have two 18" bubble bars in the rear of the aquarium (60-gallon) being fed individually by separate pumps -- a Rena Air 400 is being run in a "bridged" output, with a T-bar connecting the two outputs of the pump, to feed one of the bars, while the Tetra Whisper 60 is running the same way with its dual outputs to feed the other. The Rena puts out a TON of bubbles and power, almost overwhelmingly so, but the Tetra barely gives some trickle from the other bar, and I have tested all the equipment and know it's not a faulty bar...it's definitely the pump. This Tetra's crap-out was a long time coming, as one output doesn't seem to even work anymore (probably a dead diaphragm) and it's just not feeding enough pressure to power this 18" bar.

So, I could get another Rena and run that one in "bridged" output as well, but I'd like to know if there is a REALLY powerful pump on the market for serious hobbyists almost on a professional level, one that is known for its serious power output and ability to drive underwater bubble ornaments, tubes, bars, etc...does this exist, or is the Rena the closest thing to it? I've heard about Tetra's "deep water" pumps that are supposed to be powerful, but I'd rather stay away from that brand...is there a seriously powerful air pump I could look at? :thanks:

There's quite a few out there. I have a linear drive pump that can do over 60 outputs easily.

Try looking around at kensfish.com. Ive used a 4 port top fin pump that ran several tanks and was fairly cheap.

There's quite a few out there. I have a linear drive pump that can do over 60 outputs easily.

Try looking around at kensfish.com. Ive used a 4 port top fin pump that ran several tanks and was fairly cheap.

Thanks jeta,

I had the largest Top Fin pump made, and I couldn't STAND that thing -- between the noise and the lack of bubbles it produced (in my situation), I ended up returning it...

When you say there's "quite a few out there," can you lead me in the right direction? Which brands? Is your "linear pump" able to be "bridged down" so it feeds just one line to one bubble bar?

It could be but its way more than most people need, I'm considering downsizing because I only run about 25 outlets with it now. Its meant to run an entire fish room.

The one I have is an alita al60, they do make smaller models though. I've not tried many of the smaller pumps.

Wow...well, I don't need enough power from a pump to feed an entire fish room...but definitely something better/more powerful than the Tetra Whisper I have on that bar now...

Should I just stick to the Rena model that's feeding the other bar with loads of bubbles, being that I know it works?

Aside from jeta -- is there anyone else than can assist with suggesting a very powerful, consumer-available pump that would out-perform not only the Tetra, but maybe the Rena as well?

Back
Top Bottom