What kind of lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of lighting should I have?

• Keep what you have, just use 6500K bulbs instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You need to get something smaller.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Z

zacdl

Well I have heard mixed opinions on lighting so far.

Should I keep the lighting I have? And just get 6500K bulbs instead?

It would be 72 watts, just under 3 WPG, but pretty close to 3 WPG I think.

Or should I get something smaller????

I would love to be able to use this current lighting if at all possible.

If you stick with the lighting you have it will be fine for low to medium light FW plants..
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
the lighting figures are for NO bulbs (the rule is old) you have CF lighting so you dont need quite as much of it for the same effect.. HTH
by the way.. the 10,000K will grow FW plants fine.. :p

I am about to purchase a light fixture for a 55g that I am hoping to grow plants in eventually. What is the cheapest solution I have lighting wise?

OK I will stick with what I have.

Wont 10000K look too "Saltwater"?

I read somewhere that Actinic is a big no-no for FW. Should I at least replace this? Have one 6500K and one 10000K or should I just do all 6500K?

Why is it a no-no?

Why should I NOT use 10,000K?

Would it look funky?

Wont 10000K look too "Saltwater"?
I don't think so. It will look more white, whereas 6500K will look more yellow. It's really up to you to decide how you want it to look.

I read somewhere that Actinic is a big no-no for FW. Should I at least replace this? Have one 6500K and one 10000K or should I just do all 6500K?
Well, I use a 50/50 bulb (10000K and actinic) with my planted tank because the bulb came with the strip light and I can't afford to replace it right now. It won't do anything bad, it just won't be beneficial to your plants.

Ahhh.... So I do need to get 6500.... Because its better for plants.

Thanks.

Oh, I meant that the plants can't utilize the actinic part. The 6500K or 10000K would be fine for plants either way.

Well then might as well call it a 1.75 WPG tank, Thats not enough.

Ill have to be replacing it to a 6500 K anyway, might as well just buy two 6500s.

i am having hte same problem understanding this light thing. Is there a site you someone could post that explains plants and lighting?

Actinic lighting does nothing to help plants due to it primary "blue" light. Plants require strong white and a decent amount of red/yellow ie: full spectrum lights. The k rating is the amount of spectural light in a bulb. At 6500k bulb is standard for planted tanks, although a higher k rating doesn't hurt.

I would rather get this right the first time.

What kind of lighting do I need? One 10,000K and one 6,500K? All 6,500K? Or what?

zacdl said:
Well then might as well call it a 1.75 WPG tank, Thats not enough.

Ill have to be replacing it to a 6500 K anyway, might as well just buy two 6500s.

1.75wpg is plenty of light to grow low-medium light plants..

Hmmmmmmmmm....
Can I keep almost all the plants I want with low to medium light?
If so I might just stick withit

Do you have a link to high light plants, so I can find out what I cannot keep?

What kind of lighting do I need? One 10,000K and one 6,500K? All 6,500K? Or what?
It doesn't matter. Either of these types of bulbs will grow plants. It's just the actinic that won't. That's what I was trying to tell you but I guess I wasn't very clear about it.

Well I will do like Greenmaji told me and just leave what I have in there. Since they wont use the Actinic that will be strickly for color then I guess. That leaves me with one bulb, about 1.5 or 1.75 WPG now.

Back
Top Bottom