When to replace CF bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RISEANDFLOAT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my light going for 11 months now. It is a 65W Coralife Compact Fluorescent fixture. They seem to be pretty popular at least in my area. My question is when should I replace the fluorescent bulb? I read the other day that fluorescent bulbs only have 50% of their intensity after being used for a year or so. Is this true for compact fluorescents?

I have read a post from someone on here about a response they received from coralife about this question. It stated that the bulbs should be replaced between 9 and 10 months of use. Of course your photo period has a great inpact on this time. I know from growing aquatic plants, that letting the bulbs go for too long will only lead to disaster!

Replace the bulbs a little early and waste a couple bucks or waste all the time to clean up your tank and remove dead corals? I guess that's a quesiton that everyone has to answer.

I'll see if I can dig up the post.

EdIT: This post was in relation to planted tanks, but will suffice for corals as well. Shifting of the spectrum is a bigger worry then losing PAR in a planted tank. I have no idea how that would effect corals.

evercl92 said:
I've seen this question asked several times, and also seen various answers. So, I went ahead and emailed Coralife to find out when the bulbs should be replaced. Here's what I recieved:

"
It actually depends on the plant species. You can go as long as 16 months for some species, and as little as 6 months for more sensitive species. On average if you change them out every 8 to 10 months you will be good.

Regards,
Rob M.
Product Lines Tech. Support Dpt.
Central Aquatics
"

@Innovator: Are you telling me that going for 5 years on the same bulbs would still allow all the corals to live. I wouldn't think so. My post was an extreme and nothing more. Corals can and will die if not provided enough light. The point was, and remains, that IMO I would rather change the bulbs then possibly lose some of my corals.

If you have access to a PAR meter then you can pinpoint just how much life you can expect from your bulb; otherwise, yearly replacement has been the norm for quite some time. In addition, exaggeration in relation to coral death by the previous post. i.e. highly unlikely.

So when I do replace this bulb, do I have to worry about killing or "sun-burning" any of my corals with the new light? Also I previously bought some button polyps from my lfs. I got a rock with about twenty polyps on it, but only half of them are opening up. If I get this new bulb will they slowly come back? I have had them for about four days now. Will they eventually die if I keep them in there unopened?

got a rock with about twenty polyps on it, but only half of them are opening up. If I get this new bulb will they slowly come back? I have had them for about four days now. Will they eventually die if I keep them in there unopened?

IME, you should just leave them. They should open up eventually. As long as your water parameters are in good shape.

So when I do replace this bulb, do I have to worry about killing or "sun-burning" any of my corals with the new light?

No..you should not have any "sunburn" issues, as long as they are the same wattage as the last ones.

How long is your daily photo period?
I changed my CF's every 6-7 months running them 10 (10k) - 12 (03) hours/day. At nine months algae growth started taking off.

You should not have any significant impact (other than good) from replacing the bulbs.

If you are worried about "burning" you can replace one right away and the other 2 wks after to allow for adjustment.

Rkilling: The original post questioned bulb replacement after 11 months of use. You stated, "Replace the bulbs a little early and waste a couple bucks or waste all the time to clean up your tank and remove dead corals?" Corals, for the most part, will not perish within a year's time due to not replacing the bulbs nor will they suddenly decline because their use extends just over a year. Where your 5yr input came from, I have no idea as it is not relevant to this particular question and even if it was, I have personally worked on aquariums with halides extending the 1.5yr mark with no losses of sps plus subjected my personal aquaria (lps/soft) without any direct or indirect light for 1.5wks without any losses.

Back
Top Bottom