Will a powehead help circulate my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , iv got a 125 litre tank , have a fluval 206 external filter but still suffer with allot of fish poo on the surface of my sand, i nake sure i dont over feed them as i know that can cause it , heard a powehead can help the current in the tank move it to be filterd , any suggestions/experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the poo gets pushed to one specific area it would make cleaning it up much easier, but if is all over the place a small powerhead should help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah its all over the place , its extremely annoying ! Will any powerhead do or does it have to be a certain type?

I don't use a power head on my tank so I can't help there. How do you have the output of the filter going? I have my 306 pointed towards the front and angled slightly left because it is in the back right corner. This creates a counter clockwise water spin, and my surface skimmer helps the flow by pushing water left to right along the back glass

Ahh , iv got my output on the back right pointing towards the front left , should i do what youve done and try that?

I would, might save you some money. I find I have a dead spot right below the output, but that could be due to the back wall being heavily planted

Ill do that now and see if it helps, i never thought of that, also do you have your output under or above water level? Mines above but stupidly noisy

Below, less noisy and the plants give my fish the o2

Powerheads are a great way to add flow to a tank with the goal of making sure there is enough circulation going on in the water column that any uneaten food or poop doesn't get a chance to settle so it can then be picked up by whatever means of filtration you use.

Now, having that perfect nothing settles really doesn't exist, but having enough in the tank is a big help towards the goal you are mentioning. Depending on the type of tank would define the amount of flow you want in the tank. In reef tanks, we aim for about 10x the amount of turn over than gallons in the tank as a minimum.

Powerheads are a great way to add flow to a tank with the goal of making sure there is enough circulation going on in the water column that any uneaten food or poop doesn't get a chance to settle so it can then be picked up by whatever means of filtration you use.

Now, having that perfect nothing settles really doesn't exist, but having enough in the tank is a big help towards the goal you are mentioning. Depending on the type of tank would define the amount of flow you want in the tank. In reef tanks, we aim for about 10x the amount of turn over than gallons in the tank as a minimum.

I think that having a dead spot where you can vacuum is actually better. This allowd the waste to be removed from the water instead of breaking down in the canister. Less waste in the water would lead to less nitrate buildup. Just my thought on the topic.

Yeah thats true , been messing with it and i can actually watch the fishes waste move around , seems to be going to one spot near the back of the tank ill leave it over night once it all settles and see where it ends , thanks man it looks much cleaner already!

No problem. Only trick is going to be being able to vacuum that clback corner. My anacharis is way to thick for me to even think about vacuuming it

Its worked great on one half of the tank but i dont think the current is reaching the other half as its still covered in waste , any suggestions?

Is your intake tube in the opposite corner than the output? I got the idea of placing the intake next to the intake because that should help with flow.

Yeah, me intake is on the back left and my output is on the back right , do you mean put them both on the same side?

Yes, put the intake right of the output. You won't know if it works or not until you try it

Right ill try that after work , iv always been told the output has to be on the opposite side to the input , will let you know how it goes !

Thats what I see most people do, but because the output is close to the bottom is might work

Back
Top Bottom