Worried! Aquarium heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smo1111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new to the site so I hope I posted this in the right place!

So I recently upgraded from a 10g to a 20g, and transferred my 50 watt aqueon submersible heater. (It is not and has never been fully submersed and I always unplug it before water changes when the water line drops below the line on the heater) I noticed that there was some foggy spots inside the tube (pic attached) so I ordered a new heater, same one but 100 watt so it didn't have to work so hard to heat my tank. But this one is worse! After acclimating it to my tank for an hour before plugging in, once i did, it had actual water droplets in it! I unplugged it immediately and took it out. I put my 50 watt heater back in and it is currently re-acclimating to the water before I plug it in. I am planning on buying an aqueon pro this weds when I get paid, but that is the earliest I can buy it due to low funds from a payroll issue with my last paycheck (stupid job) but I am super nervous about even using this one with the fog. I will be at work all day and am scared to leave it alone. But I can't unplug it as it's winter here and my tank will drop way too low. I don't know what to do! Will the foggy one be okay for a couple days until I buy the pro? Should I call aqueon about the new one I just bought? My 50 watt works just fine, the tank is always between 74° and 76° (heater set at 74) but the fog in it is freaking me out. Opinions, advice, anything to ease my mind for a few days until I get the pro?

Attachments

• 20170212_191014.jpg
    20170212_191014.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 71
I wouldn't trust any heater showing any moisture on the inside, but I'm not sure what advice to give you, based on the situation you described. You might have to take a chance on the 50w and keep your fingers crossed until Wednesday.

Thank you for your reply.
That's what I thought too, wet and electric are 2 things I don't want to meet.
I am thinking I am going to see if I can't borrow the needed funds and get the heater before work tomorrow. I wouldn't put it in the tank until I get off work so I can be home to keep an eye on it, but one more day with the foggy 50 watt is better than 3.

just don't stick fingers in tank you may find some stray electricity
img_3413181_0_a9b8aebf84019946117a2ce2ce801840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom