Yet another question, cannister filters.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I get either a 80gal or a 125 gal, would you recommend using a cannister filter for both or either. And if so why? I have no experience with these large of tanks and need all the help I can get.

Sure....you could go a single canister, two canisters, or a canister and an HOB (like an AC500)...really depends on what you plan on doing with and putting in the tank.

I think I am leaning towards a cichlid tank. Although after seeing the discus that I saw tonight, they are beautiful. But I will most likely go with the cichlids. Are cannister filters difficult to set up and maintain? Such a newbie on so many levels. But that is what I love about AA! All the information I get and the support I get as well.

Choosing the right canister filter is all important when it comes to performance and ease of maintenance....I suggest the Rena XP3 or an Eheim (classic or pro series).

cannisters are easy to set up and use. I would recommend two on tanks that large, but I like lots of filter. You may struggle a bit with the first one, the second would seem to assemble itself. Cascades and Fluvals get praises as well. Look at them at your LFS, but shop online. You will save lots of money.

I agree with TomK2. Cannisters are easier to setup and maintain than most other types of filters in my opinion, and also they are much quieter, if you care about that. I have two on my 55 gal, and I am very happy with the setup. I have Eheim pro and Fluval 304.

I ordered 2 Rena Filstar XP3's for my 125 gallon. I let you know how the setup goes and everything. I've heard the first one can be tough to put together, but the second one will put itself to gether lol... I just hope so. Good luck with whatever road you take!

If you plan on having a CO2 injected planted tank somewhere down the line I would suggest getting canisters now.. otherwise your options are open.. wet/dry(DIY is much cheaper) and HOB's are both options..

Back
Top Bottom