29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Cal. It's my underwater garden.

You guys, I am so sad. Blackberry, one of the small purple mystery snails, is dead this morning. She was cruising yesterday and showed no signs of distress. Yesterday evening, she and Vanilla were sharing some bow-chicka-wow-wow, and this morning she was very dead. She was on the sand where they had been, out of her shell in a bizarre position. Is Vanilla a murderer? Is this even a thing? I haven't yet searched, but what am I going to find looking for mystery snail fatal sex?

You can't bow-chicka-wow-Wow one second then drop a death bomb. I just went from hysterics to deadpan. Emotional rollercoaster.

Sorry for you loss.

Sorry, Cal. It was an emotional rollercoaster for me, too. Maxime never laid any viable eggs, which we assumed was because of her injury. She would lay them at the bottom of the tank. I would really like some eggs!

I've been reading so much today! I want to test for copper, so I went to a couple of different shops. Nobody had a copper test, though. I'm trying to decide if we should order both the test and Cuprisorb or just the test.

Our regulator has brass fittings, and it shouldn't matter, but between Blackberry's sudden demise and the inactivity of Kikoo and Friendly Giraffe, I'm very concerned.

Sorry, Cal. It was an emotional rollercoaster for me, too. Maxime never laid any viable eggs, which we assumed was because of her injury. She would lay them at the bottom of the tank. I would really like some eggs!

I've been reading so much today! I want to test for copper, so I went to a couple of different shops. Nobody had a copper test, though. I'm trying to decide if we should order both the test and Cuprisorb or just the test.

Our regulator has brass fittings, and it shouldn't matter, but between Blackberry's sudden demise and the inactivity of Kikoo and Friendly Giraffe, I'm very concerned.

Are you adding anything else in to the tank? Are you on city water?

Nirbhao I have read this entire thread. What an interesting journey you have had in fish keeping. It's truly inspirational. Your daughter is beautiful.Your tanks are amazing pieces of art work.
I have learned a lot from reading this thread. Thanks

@Sharmon, I can't even believe how far I've come in the past year. This thread is only seven months old, but I feel like I knew nothing at the beginning!

Thank you for your kind words. I very much enjoy working on my underwater gardens, and, especially since I injured myself, it's been a good creative outlet.

As for the topple popple, she is the center of my universe. She had a cello recital today. Now she's unwinding.
20170430_185458-01.jpeg

@Sharmon, I can't even believe how far I've come in the past year. This thread is only seven months old, but I feel like I knew nothing at the beginning!

Thank you for your kind words. I very much enjoy working on my underwater gardens, and, especially since I injured myself, it's been a good creative outlet.

As for the topple popple, she is the center of my universe. She had a cello recital today. Now she's unwinding.
View attachment 298717
Love this picture!

It is a nice picture of her daughter.
I sit in front of mine that way too only in a chair.
I still have a very bare tank 2 plants and 6 fish.
The wait is nearly over. I'll be getting the rest of my plants, gravel and fish.

Yesterday one of the female guppies looked distressed. Her tail fin is clamped but not her pectoral fins. She is due to drop, so I am concerned that she might be having a hard time with that.

Parameters were 0, 0, 40 (I need to test before adding fertilizer) last week Wednesday. pH was 7.6, temperature is 78°F, and kH was 24 and gH 13.

I will do my weekly tests today once I am able. Weekly water changes on Fridays.

Last edited:
First time?
This would be her fifth (possibly sixth) brood. December 21, January 13, February 8, and March 9. I don't have anything recorded for her fry in April. She's much more thin today, so she probably did drop last night.

Her sister died at the end of January from what looked like birthing complications.

She's not holding still because the other fish are picking on her. I'm hesitant to put her back in the isolation box, because that's not meant to be a long-term thing.

She's clamping her tail, anal, and dorsal fins. She has also started flashing. She's the only fish showing any signs of distress.

I have been dealing with inactive mystery snails and treated with PraziPro last week. I used the last of that bottle and ordered a replacement, which should be here tomorrow.

(I also tested for copper, which was negative)

I usually run the water tests around lunchtime, but I think I need to adjust the schedule and test now.

Moving forward, I'm going to do the tests on Tuesdays before adding fertilizer. It's really frustrating when the nitrates are high and I don't know how high they would be before the fertilizer.

She might be stressed because the other fish are picking on her. They always pick on the weakest fish. I would put her back in the isolation tank. Regardless of what's wrong you don't want her picked on.

She might be stressed because the other fish are picking on her. They always pick on the weakest fish. I would put her back in the isolation tank. Regardless of what's wrong you don't want her picked on.
I have fry and ramshorns in what I want to use as quarantine. The parameters are pretty different, but I could slowly acclimate her.

I don't know why she's being picked on.

••••••
pH - higher than 7.6. I may need the high range test.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
kH - 11
gH - 12
Temperature - 77° F

I'm really surprised at how low nitrates are given that I just used fertilizer yesterday.

I have fry and ramshorns in what I want to use as quarantine. The parameters are pretty different, but I could slowly acclimate her.

I don't know why she's being picked on.

••••••
pH - higher than 7.6. I may need the high range test.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
kH - 11
gH - 12
Temperature - 77° F

I'm really surprised at how low nitrates are given that I just used fertilizer yesterday.

What other fertiliser do you use?

Back
Top Bottom