29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my goodness

I walked by the tanks and noticed that the quarantine filter had stopped. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Took it apart. Took it apart some more-- then it started back up.

I noticed little backbones with eyeballs floating and thought, "they didn't get mysis shrimp today," before realizing they were dead fry! Probably a dozen!

So the survivors are all now in the Spec, and the quarantine got a huge water change.

The other fish still seem okay, so hopefully the ammonia hadn't built up too much. Ugh. Really upsetting.

Hob? Sorry for your babies.

Hob? Sorry for your babies.
Yeah. The Aqueon Quiet Flow. I have no idea why it had stopped because taking it apart was all that it took to get it to work again. Nothing stuck.

I know these little guys are most likely going to be feeders, but I don't want to cause unnecessary suffering. I consider predation healthy, but whatever happened in my tank was not normal.

I'm eager to get everybody in their permanent homes. Having the quarantine set up is stressful. I do a one week quarantine for new fish, which isn't as long as I should, but it's what I do.

I went to a different pet store than usual today, and ALL OF THEIR FISH HAD ICH. It made me grateful for that week.

Good news. A new word for snail vocab :

We've had snailsplosions, and we've seen parasnailing.

Now I give you :
IMG_9216.JPG

SNART.

Any word on the bridge?
We're going to make a new one. I can currently make one trip to my studio per day (casts are really heavy!), but it's nice enough out that I can bring stuff up to the porch to work on it there.

I'm so grateful that Swami didn't die.

We're probably going to move her back to the community today. She seems distressed in quarantine at this point.

They're taking it off one week from today. The doctor said they​might put a new one on, but, at this point, I don't think that's a good idea. If my seven [redacted] broken bones aren't healed after ten weeks, waiting more isn't what needs to happen. My doctor has been very conservative in my treatment, which is fine when it works. It's not working.

I haven't walked on my own two feet in nine weeks. I'ma very active person, so that is a problem. What's worse is that, even though I haven't gained weight, my body shape is changing in a very horizontal way.

But I love my crutch. I would be outright despondent without it.
20170324_131513-01.jpg
SavedImage_20170326_140942_04-01.jpeg

Can you imagine doing water changes with traditional crutches?

Glad your critter is healing. Wish you were healing better/faster.

Love that stained glass panel behind you, wish it were mine and you had one better. Lol

Thank you, T. I'm really proud of that window. I made it during a manic episode after my heart surgery. Existing is weird.

What it comes down to is that blisters on cartilage, which I suspect is the actual painful part, don't heal well on their own. According to the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society:
The results of non-operative treatment of OLTs have been disappointing. Most studies show that full resolution of the pain from an OLT occurs in less than half of cases treated without surgery. Studies examining the outcomes after debridement and microfracture (drilling) of OLTs have shown that the majority (greater than 70 percent) of patients have a good or excellent outcome.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

••••••
Swami was looking pretty distressed today, so I decided to move everybody back home.

The screen keeps falling off the bottom of the prefilter, so we ordered replacements.

The rainbows love having a new girl in the group. There's been some very nice schooling there.

The water tested positive for copper today. I genuinely can't figure out where it's coming from. My best guess at this point is the the coral skeletons had been treated with copper.

Last edited:
Soooooooooooooooooo usually I check the temperature of the tanks during my weekly testing, but I've gotten lazy with it. This tank was 75°F. I hope the thermostat got bumped and not that the heater is dying.

Let's see if that helps the snails!

That's filled in quite nicely! (y)

Thank you.

Looking really nice (and green machine dinosaur out for jog on track?!) :)
Bubbles is always on the move.

••••••
I was removing ramshorns and spotted an operculum. Frank the rabbit snail was very dead.

And I'm pretty sure Maxime, Friendly Giraffe, Kikoo, and Red are also gone.

Snaily, Vanilla, Hazel, and Beatrix are all active.

The topple popple is crying that we need to replace them, but we first need to know what happened. I mean, if Frank was dead long enough to lose his operculum, he might have been an ammonia bomb. The thing is that ammonia was zero on Wednesday. I guess I should test right now.

I have a whole new sympathy for people who struggle with ramshorns. They are everywhere and they are tiny. This is not the tank where they belong.

Back
Top Bottom