55 gallon freshwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pafree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
this is the one of the aquariums my son and i have been working on. it houses bluegill and a catfish that my son had found in a little creek that was drying up when she was 1 inch long. i bought some slate from a local stone yard to make the caves. i am running two filters. one is a aquatech that i modified to use filter flosh instead of high price filter replacements. i added a bottle filter to the other one but plan to find a bottle without a orange cap to help it blend in. the background is blue foam poster board and the plants are walmart and dollar store cheap which i siliconed rocks together with a straw in the middle to hold the plants. we have the aquarium set up in the living room and enjoy sitting and watch them. the Bluegills like swimming against the underwater fan and letting it push them back.

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 2 (7).jpg
    photo 2 (7).jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 104
  • photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 105
Cool tank!
Just a caution, the bluegill and definitely the catfish will out grow that tank eventually. All native catfish species reach a size of 1'+, and this was confirmed to me when I caught a 10 pounder last weekend. Just be warned that you will eventually need to find a big pond or home for these guys. Tank looks good though!

Back
Top Bottom