Fluval Flora Nano planted tank video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pecktec

Aquarium Advice Freak
This video briefly describes the new Fluval Flora. It’s a nano tank kit designed for people who like to have live plants in their aquarium. This video talks about the contents of the kit, and what I have done to alter this kit for my personal preference.

YouTube - Fluval Flora: Overview

Pecktec said:
This video briefly describes the new Fluval Flora. It’s a nano tank kit designed for people who like to have live plants in their aquarium. This video talks about the contents of the kit, and what I have done to alter this kit for my personal preference.

YouTube - Fluval Flora: Overview

I have the EBI version as a betta community tank, although I wouldn't call it nano at 8g.

Great setup isn't it? I want a Flora for a heavy planted and another EBI for shrimp.

Soo is it too big IYO to call a nano? I guess I call anything under 10 gal a nano but hey I've been wrong before. I thought real hard about the EBI but I wanted the CO2 thing and the plant substrate and the tongs. I wish I could have a wall of them all different setups. It keeps me calm at work as I guide idiots to the Internet.

Pecktec said:
Soo is it too big IYO to call a nano? I guess I call anything under 10 gal a nano but hey I've been wrong before. I thought real hard about the EBI but I wanted the CO2 thing and the plant substrate and the tongs. I wish I could have a wall of them all different setups. It keeps me calm at work as I guide idiots to the Internet.

I see any tank I can pick up and moved while it's fully setup as a nano (>5g?) and I'm not sure I'd lift/move this one lol.

I only saw the EBI so it wasn't till later that I saw the Flora and made me want it too since all my tanks are planted (betta tank as well). I want another EBI because I didn't have shrimp till now and didn't know how cool they are to watch :D.

I see any tank I can pick up and moved while it's fully setup as a nano (>5g?) and I'm not sure I'd lift/move this one lol.

I only saw the EBI so it wasn't till later that I saw the Flora and made me want it too since all my tanks are planted (betta tank as well). I want another EBI because I didn't have shrimp till now and didn't know how cool they are to watch :D.

Ahh I see. Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one. There isn’t a great definition (which means were both right, YEA US!) for nano that I have found the reef guys will tell you 30 gallons or less. Some would call the tiny ones you can hold a Pico. I picked it for the nano-scale definition, and from the Greek word, nanos, meaning dwarf.

But hey live, and let live. :D

What kind of shrimp do you have? I have a 12 gallon that’s almost all CRS. My little girl calls it my fairy garden because they seem to fly around. I think they are great for the plants as well. I would theorize that the shrimps constant grazing could stimulate the plants sort of in the way people say singing or talking to plant do. Ha! I don’t know maybe that’s crazy. There are all sorts of variants on the CRS shrimp also in yellow and white and a few more I think. And they can't be kept together or it will mess up the genetics (color wise). So that’s another good excuse to get more of them.

Looks neat. Really good for people starting up a planted tank although I'm not a fan of internal filters...take up too much room.

I would definitely consider this a nano. Not a pico, surely, but a nano.
The Flora looks good, as well as the tank in the background. Nice video, thanks for sharing. :)
Have you seen the Fluval Spec, too? This line they put out is really awesome.

Looks neat. Really good for people starting up a planted tank although I'm not a fan of internal filters...take up too much room.
I couldnt agree more. Even though the one I swapped for is smaller and works fine. Its still to big and a pain to clean.

The Flora looks good, as well as the tank in the background. Nice video, thanks for sharing. :)
Have you seen the Fluval Spec, too? This line they put out is really awesome.

Thanks! :D I have a video for the 55 on youtube as well. I want the Spec real bad too! Maybe that will be my next project. I have a baby betta that will need his own place soon.

Pecktec said:
Ahh I see. Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one. There isn’t a great definition (which means were both right, YEA US!) for nano that I have found the reef guys will tell you 30 gallons or less. Some would call the tiny ones you can hold a Pico. I picked it for the nano-scale definition, and from the Greek word, nanos, meaning dwarf.

But hey live, and let live. :D

What kind of shrimp do you have? I have a 12 gallon that’s almost all CRS. My little girl calls it my fairy garden because they seem to fly around. I think they are great for the plants as well. I would theorize that the shrimps constant grazing could stimulate the plants sort of in the way people say singing or talking to plant do. Ha! I don’t know maybe that’s crazy. There are all sorts of variants on the CRS shrimp also in yellow and white and a few more I think. And they can't be kept together or it will mess up the genetics (color wise). So that’s another good excuse to get more of them.

Well that makes sense and SW is beyond my reach, so from that perspective I'll agree with you. Mainly have ghost shrimp, a couple AES and 2 RCS. That's what really made me a fan, when a big Java Fern leaf was cleaned of BA in no time by a AES.

I think one in every room is a must because they're so cool, but my GF says otherwise because nano's like these don't belong in her bathrooms :p.

What is an AES? An Amono shimp?
If you get a good bunch of RCS they breed like crazy. I must have 200 now. I love the bamboo shrimp too but I can’t seem to keep them long. I might make a river tank soon with more directional flow and try them again soon.

What is an AES? An Amono shimp?
If you get a good bunch of RCS they breed like crazy. I must have 200 now. I love the bamboo shrimp too but I can’t seem to keep them long. I might make a river tank soon with more directional flow and try them again soon.

Algae eating shrimp. That's the way my LFS sells them as, but yes they're Amono shrimp.

Mr. Limpet said:
Algae eating shrimp. That's the way my LFS sells them as, but yes they're Amono shrimp.

Thats cool. I like those a lot. They live a long time. They get pretty big also.

An updated photo of the tank.
35531-albums1729-picture11647.jpg

Plants are growing like crazy. Very few algae problems. I took the co2 dispenser and pulled it apart ( it comes in two pieces). I'm now just using the second half of the co2 defuser and this seems not to effect the growth. I still have the original c02 cartridge I fill the half defuser up once a day 5 days a week at work.

Attachments

• image-3795169219.jpg
    image-3795169219.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image-344922420.jpg
    image-344922420.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3750111655.jpg
    image-3750111655.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 125
New updates the Anubis in the back had to be removed to make room for the tall stem plants. I broke the co2 cartridge into two parts and I'm only filling the one half of it up on weekdays. I'm still on the original co2 cartridge.

Attachments

• image-1077362402.jpg
    image-1077362402.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1190833962.jpg
    image-1190833962.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 151
I believe so but I bought these awhile ago. I think there are a lot of types of Ludwigia aren't there? Some of the photos I found look like it. It completely changes if you let it exit the water. It gets all rooty and turns into a bush on top of the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom