Show off you plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Before I really got into the hobby, I only knew of the common pleco, now that I've seen lots of them, I really want to decide on one to get. If I got one though, it would have to be large and aggressive enough to live with African ciclids, or shy and calm enough to live with discus. I heard that the shy ones won't suck on the slume layer of the discus too. Even if it doesn't follow the description, post it, I love to see others fish!

My mom just made an impulse buy, a bushy nose. Was not a fan before but it has a cool pattern. Ill show you tomorrow. Is bushy nose the same as bristle nose? She bought him for my cichlids because of my diatom problem. But I think he is too small now. Will he be able to go into the cichlid tank? He will have no competition for food, because diatoms would smother the glass if I didn't clean it so often.

What cichlids are going to be in with him? How long is he?

Plecos will need more food than algae so I would recommend trying algae wafers in addition to the food your tank normally gets.

Also, yes the busy nose is the same as a bristle nose.

What cichlids are going to be in with him? How long is he?

Plecos will need more food than algae so I would recommend trying algae wafers in addition to the food your tank normally gets.

Also, yes the busy nose is the same as a bristle nose.

Yeah I have algae waffers. He will be going in with medium aggressive mbuna. He's about 2" now.

Yeah I have algae waffers. He will be going in with medium aggressive mbuna. He's about 2" now.

I feel like a 2" bristlenose with mbuna is a bad idea. I had a long fin bristlenose about the same size with rams and it got nipped pretty bad before I rehomed it. My rams were also demons though haha

What type of Mbuna is it? That is going to be a big determining factor on how safe the fish is. Also, how large is the Mbuna? Most plecos will do just fine because they are well armored but sometimes the cichlids will go for the plecos eyes which can be problematic.

What type of Mbuna is it? That is going to be a big determining factor on how safe the fish is. Also, how large is the Mbuna? Most plecos will do just fine because they are well armored but sometimes the cichlids will go for the plecos eyes which can be problematic.

Yellow labs, peackocks, cobalts, zebras

Just got mine today

Hard to see, but he is peppermint bristlenose. He is out and in the open already. Can't wait till his new tank is ready in a week or two

Show off :p

Here's mine - Davina.

img_2782093_0_7d339a875bbb23f6ca7146421d04855e.jpg

attachment.php

My bristlenose pleco... Going on one year old. About 4" long now. Was teeny tiny when I got him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390107700244.jpg
    1390107700244.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom