Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Swap from gravel to Sand

So I swapped out from the old rock gravel that's been in there for a really long time went and did a 90% water change transported the fish into a separate tank.
got the new sand in their now
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415296728.434528.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	255001Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415296775.918483.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	255002let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2

Looks good,did experience a mini-cycle after the swap?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Not too much I talk to a local well-established store known as the
"wet spot" here in Portland and they just told me that it's not so much the issue with recycling the tank as the beneficial bacteria should be in the sponge in the filter.
It's more the ammonia and nitrites that will spike up when moving the The gravel around swapping out all the feces and everything that's down deep under it. That's why transported the fish out of it take and then ended up doing a 90% water just in case I did buy a bottle of Quickstart to get a little bit more of that beneficial bacteria in there just because I was putting them back in the same tank. But the lady at the fish store said that you could take a mesh bag he like cloth and take some of that gravel and put it in there and then throw that in the filter as well if you're worried about it.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacteria should be in highest concentrations on surfaces that have water flowing near them. On top of that the high-quality, modern biological filter media has massive amounts of surface for the bacteria to cultivate. In theory, this means that more bacteria should be in the filter than the substrate.

Now, if you were using a UGF system the story would be different. Although, that probably wouldn't work with the sand anyway.

I have a feeling the whole "be careful not to disturb the gravel" thing is really a holdover from when most people were using UGFs.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

I Did have underground filter as a circulation also had a marineland 350
Duel bio wheels as my main filter wanted too rid myself of the ugly and unstable UGF

Tags
gravel, sand, swap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com