300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice job on the lights, I wish I had those kind of soldering skills. Do you plan on putting any type of protection over the lights?

Sent from my iPhone

Very nice job on the lights, I wish I had those kind of soldering skills. Do you plan on putting any type of protection over the lights?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, it comes with a plexi shield. Turned it on last night at 90% and I got a PAR 1000 at 2 feet away. But that was in air.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Greg,

It was a pleasure to be able to see your system in real life this week.

Your photos which are amazing don't do it justice, it is even more amazing in real life.

I'm in awe. Great work!

First DYI light installed in the center and tuned with the PAR meter to the same power the 200 watt Chinese panel was producing. Currently it is running Blue at 70% and White/colored at 50%. Will build the other two next week. Controlled by a Reefkeeper.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411171842.757761.jpg

No way man. It took me 8 hours to build the first one. I'm hoping I can now build two in six hours. In the end, I end up with a very flexible and repairable fixture, but I pay myself too much an hour to get into building them for others. Still a fun project.

No way man. It took me 8 hours to build the first one. I'm hoping I can now build two in six hours. In the end, I end up with a very flexible and repairable fixture, but I pay myself too much an hour to get into building them for others. Still a fun project.

LOL. Looks great and it will all be well worth the time. Especially when you can change or repair all components yourself. You know where everything is because you put it there! I'm still rocking the Chinese panel..

No. But they are computer controllable, 180 watts, far brighter, repairable and full spectrum for under $400 per fixture with the Reefkeeper ALC ($75, one for each fixture).

Last edited:
No. But they are computer controllable, 180 watts, far brighter, repairable and full spectrum for under $400 per fixture with the Reefkeeper ALC ($75, one for each fixture).

Sounds like a winner.

They don't stay fixed. I've got 12 of them and they are a constant headache. Nice pumps, but really? We can't design it to never run backwards? My $10 fan doesn't have this problem.

They don't stay fixed. I've got 12 of them and they are a constant headache. Nice pumps, but really? We can't design it to never run backwards? My $10 fan doesn't have this problem.

LOL, I hear you! Mine hydors have done it too. They do however have really good customer service from my experience and sent me free replacement parts. They are great powerheads, when they are working properly. I'll use mine untill they are literally unusable, but my next ones will be a different manufacturer.

Iv got sicce voyager pumps but a lot smaller the seem to be really loud when running

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On to building the last two fixtures. Clip, clip, screw, screw, solder, burn fingers, to hell with this, but back at it or it won't get done.

That seems like a project that would clear my mind. Maybe when I set up my 90 corner bow I will build a fixture to match the tank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom