300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The basics for the three new fixtures.
Meanwell drivers able to dim via my Reefkeeper.
Each fixture has 35- 5 watt Cree LEDs with 80 deg lenses. Full spectrum. They are 10x20" each. 525 watts total, 175 each. Just a bit more than the Chinese panels I have now. But should be vastly more efficient, hence the dimmers.

Build pics to come.

Back when I built this reef it was recommended to have 4 watts to the gallon for MH. So that meant 1200 watts, 2-250 watts on each end and a 500 watt in the middle, 200 watts of actinics brought up the total. No wonder I needed a chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Greg I'd love to see a giant photo dump one day with everything you got going on :D

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's really not that big a deal, I just am too stubborn to give up on anything.

I have a few pics of the reef when it was a few years old, but that's before digital photography, so I will have to scan some 35mm slides.

First kit arrived. I thought I would build one before ordering the other two. All the components are pretty deluxe.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410303513.383777.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410303524.838310.jpg

... And then slowly Dr.Frankenstein retreats into the lab to construct the monster ...... Keep us updated with pictures

All 36 5 watt Crees installed on the heat sink. 6-UV (or ultra blue), one red, one green, 10 white and 14 blue.
No lenses installed yet .
Each driver will run 12 LEDs.

Now for the soldering.
Building two more seems a bit daunting. At least two to three evenings per light to do it up right. But for quality components like this I am saving roughly 30-50percent over a built fixture with digital dimming controls. My dealer cost made this a no brainer. The real upside is I can service every individual component myself.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410324266.573290.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410324312.599331.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410324278.098477.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410324278.098477.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
All 36 5 watt Crees installed on the heat sink. 6-UV (or ultra blue), one red, one green, 10 white and 14 blue.
No lenses installed yet .
Each driver will run 12 LEDs.

Now for the soldering.
Building two more seems a bit daunting. At least two to three evenings per light to do it up right. But for quality components like this I am saving roughly 30-50percent over a built fixture with digital dimming controls. My dealer cost made this a no brainer. The real upside is I can service every individual component myself.

View attachment 249624

View attachment 249626

Very nice! Cant wait to see that sucker light up!

I have a full spectrum over my frag tank and I like the way it looks. It also seems to grow corals at least as well.

Those "UV" LEDs aren't much more than another blue. I am going to use a few to see if I like them. With a RapidLED DIY you can easily change out components.

Greg it's been awhile since you put that giant green serpent (?) star in your tank,...does he come out and mill around ? My brittle stars must have some amazing sensory organs because within seconds of starting to feed some frozen mysis they seem to come out of the wood ( rock) works and crawl all over the place hoping they find a piece ,... How in the heck they even sense that there's food entering the water is beyond me but they do,... I once read that they have no brain and merely act via sensory stimulations,... Simple but yet an amazing animal.,just looking forward to your thoughts doc.

No, I haven't seen him. There is a active life behind my rock work as I left big voids to allow critters to hide. It seems to have its own little ecosystem as a banded shrimp the size of a softball has lived there for four years and only been see a dozen times. The star is living back there as well.

Saw the big green brittle star this evening!

Here is the first fixture wired and with lenses. Works perfectly.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410846299.858708.jpg

And what is the big green bristle doing? I actually just saw mine last week too. I thought he was dead, then while I was watching my new flame scallop there out stuck his green arms.

Great job on those lights. I may be looking into doing that some day in the future. So how big is this 'big green bristle'?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom