800 gallon L - Shape Custom Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very very sick looking tank. Was the glass difficult to put back together. And your not worried about the dehumidifier being a full time job. Your gonna have to empty that thing like twice a day

The dehumidifier drains into the main drain for the house, so I won't ever have to empty it.

I am not entirely sure on fish yet.

Clowns are a definite yes though.

Open to suggestions though,

I'm still waiting on a 2 3/8 " diamond holesaw to arrive in the mail so I can drill my sump (w refugium).

Can't wait to get this thing up and running !!

Sqasnatch said:
Very very sick looking tank. Was the glass difficult to put back together. And your not worried about the dehumidifier being a full time job. Your gonna have to empty that thing like twice a day

The glass wasn't too bad to put back together just ridiculously heavy, used razor blades to clean off the old silicone, then acetone for any left over residue prior to applying new silicone.

Interesting have you ever had past experiences putting aquariums like that together, I think I would like to do something similar when I do my next project

Interesting have you ever had past experiences putting aquariums like that together, I think I would like to do something similar when I do my next project

i did it with a 35 gallon i have, its actually not hard to do at all, just mask off a seam for the silicone so its a nice straight edge and put the silicone on the edges of the glass then slap them together. make sure there are not alot of air bubbles and let it dry for abotu a week, then a 2 week fill test, in my case i filled the tank for 6 months :p and it all held up great

Sqasnatch said:

never had any experience with it but I had put time into researching how to do it. Spent alot of time on forums like these asking advice of guys who had done it before.

Just like gti said but 20times bigger. So more silicone. Heavier glass and the highest bond strength silicone you can get Dow Corning 995.( used by sea world, marineland etc).

Other than that it's pretty easy. My build was a bit more complicated than a normal size tank because of the immense weight and the dimensions of the tank.

Ok thank. I'm working on saving my bucks for a project of the same magnitude. In-between 500 to 1000 gallons. However I am a few years away from that. I'm waiting to move to the house that I'm going to live for the rest of my life, I wouldn't want to be moving that thing fully stocked. Lol

Gregcoyote said:
What are you going to do for lighting? Did you say you were going for a reef, of fish only?

still planning out the lighting.

Going to do a reef.

I have a lighting thread going in the start up forum

I would go the cree based fixtures like the radion over other LEDs. They are just the most powerful and the most versitile

cree are proven LEDs and the top in the LED world, they last logn hold their color long and put out boat loads of light, i have seen otehr stuff and i personally would go with the crees, plus i'm a huge fan of DIYs and i would buy my LEDs from rapid LED and build my own dimmable fixture

Gti_Leo said:
cree are proven LEDs and the top in the LED world, they last logn hold their color long and put out boat loads of light, i have seen otehr stuff and i personally would go with the crees, plus i'm a huge fan of DIYs and i would buy my LEDs from rapid LED and build my own dimmable fixture

I build LED fixtures and Crees are just one of the manufacturers we use. In fact, the new multi-led chips are far superior to existing emitters.

Back
Top Bottom