Just moved my 100 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

visuvius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently moved my 100 gallon tank from a 3rd story apartment to a condo 10 miles away. It had been running for almost 3 years and at one point looked like this:

fish%20088.jpg

photo%284%29.jpg

I got crazy busy with work and dropped the ball on maintenance over the last 8 months and ended up with a really horrible green hair algae problem. Basically everything was covered and I wasn't able to get a hand on it. The plan was to scrub all of the rocks once I moved and that is what I did. Unfortunately, even that didn't get rid of everything and now 3 weeks after setting it up again in the new place I'm still having a bit of a hair algea problem. I'm doing weekly 10% water changes while scrubbing the actual pieces off with a toothbrush, added a huge cleaner crew and have been running my lights for only 6 hours a day (TFHOs 54x4).

The tank is lookin' pretty good. I have high hopes for my urchin which is supposed to munch on some of this green crap. The problem is some of my rocks have so many **** nooks and crannies that it makes it hard to get to the hair algae rooted there.

Anyhow here it is now (excuse the blurry pictures I'm still trying to figure this camera out):

IMG_8883.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8852.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

I'm going to really stay on top of it this time. I've got a buddy going to the wholesalers in LA today and I've asked him to look for some really bright and colorful zoos. I've always had the generic greens, maroons and reds but I really want some blues, oranges and yellows.
Current tank inhabitants are:

Purple Tang
Kole Eye Tang
Bi-Color Psuedochromis (This guy is a champ and I've had him from the beginning)
Two Percula Clowns
Flame Angel
Falco Hawkfish
Some kind of sandsifting watchmen goby

I've asked my friend to also pick up a large blue tang (about 5"-6") and I'm really tempted to get a baby clown trigger. I know they like to nip at corals and inverts but I'm hoping if I keep him really well fed and get a juvenile one I'll be okay. I had a small niger trigger for a long time and he was great, gave me no trouble at all. I'm guessing I'll be maxed out as far as fish goes at that point.

Looks really nice. Love the new layout of rockwork. Looks really good, Makes me want to move my rocks around.

Hope ya get rid of the "green crap" :p

wow, really beutiful. hope the "green crap" goes away too. lol.

Do you see a lot of aggression out of your purple tang? i really like them but i have heard they can get kinda pushy with the other fish.

I`m not the OP but I assume you are talking about the yellow eyed Kole tang. I have one and never had any aggression issues with him. They are pretty laid back as far as the tangs are.

I`m not the OP but I assume you are talking about the yellow eyed Kole tang. I have one and never had any aggression issues with him. They are pretty laid back as far as the tangs are.

Nope, although i do like the yellow eyed kole tang as well. In the first picture of the tank after it was moved there is a purple tank darting along in the lower left.

Back
Top Bottom