Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kwandrsn said:
I tried looking and never found anything like it. The clear, flat worm thingy that is

This is turning into a busy week but if I can find you a link on the PC I'll post it. I've never had a reef that didn't have those guys so it shouldn't be a problem if you can't get it. They're absolutely normal to find on good quality rock.

Some types of clear or opaque worms live in hard white tubes that they create. If you seal the end of the tube with super glue they're done for. The ones that travel around and feed are never any trouble unless you just don't like them. lol

Great pic but I still thing another 20 pounds of live rock would be a nice addition. Lots of people prefer having less rock so it's just my opinion. Rock is so expensive these days.

Yeah I am going to get more rock soon. May just use part base and part live.
I hate to kill the worm its just aggravating when the water looks crappy cause all the white stuff floating. I realized that I had the surface skimmer part of my filter running full blast and it cut off the lower part. I got it half way now so that should help too

I'm noticing what looks to be strands of hair on my rock and stuff.

It isn't hair though. Kinda looks cottony ... Cobwebs lol

Anyways I got to thinking having all those snail shells may have been producing ammonia which would end up cause nitrates so it might be a good idea to remove them. Except for the big cool looking ones lol.

My maxi jet wouldn't come back on earlier uh oh... I had to plug and unplug a few times and it started hmm?

kwandrsn said:
I'm noticing what looks to be strands of hair on my rock and stuff.

It isn't hair though. Kinda looks cottony ... Cobwebs lol

Anyways I got to thinking having all those snail shells may have been producing ammonia which would end up cause nitrates so it might be a good idea to remove them. Except for the big cool looking ones lol.

My maxi jet wouldn't come back on earlier uh oh... I had to plug and unplug a few times and it started hmm?

The cobwebs are from the worm. They sometimes make those when they feed.

I doubt the snail shells are any problem unless they still have decaying snail parts in them. If you smell them and they don't smell like nasty death they're fine to keep in the tank. If they stink of rot you should remove them and clean them out then let them dry, rinse em again and then add them back. Once they're free of decay it's just like having any other piece of rock or sand in the tank (surface for good bacteria).

You may just need to clean out the impeller housing and impellers on the Maxi Jets. Always check the impellers and shafts for wear when you service them.

Sorry, I've never used that skimmer.

The cobwebs are from the worm. They sometimes make those when they feed.

I doubt the snail shells are any problem unless they still have decaying snail parts in them. If you smell them and they don't smell like nasty death they're fine to keep in the tank. If they stink of rot you should remove them and clean them out then let them dry, rinse em again and then add them back. Once they're free of decay it's just like having any other piece of rock or sand in the tank (surface for good bacteria).

You may just need to clean out the impeller housing and impellers on the Maxi Jets. Always check the impellers and shafts for wear when you service them.

Sorry, I've never used that skimmer.

Ok thanks. Yeah the shells I removed were ugly ones. I kept the cool ones. I don't know if they were empty when he had them or not. just figured if they were dead they would help as an ammonia source. If they were empty no harm done. Something produced ammonia fast though but it could have been the sand. I rinsed it but not great

Well my maxi jet is screwing up :-(...
I noticed yesterday it stopped working when I shut the power off then turned it back on. I took it apart it looks fine put it back together and it started working.

This morning I heard the power flicker for a sec and looked and the maxi jet want working again. I took it out wiped everything down and took a qtip to the inside part where the impeller sits put it back together and now its working

It wasn't real dirty kinda had a little slime on it but heck its only a month old

Sounds like the impeller is getting Hung up on the housing or something. I remember when you first set it up you had some issues with the intake tube not seating properly over the impeller.

Sounds like the impeller is getting Hung up on the housing or something. I remember when you first set it up you had some issues with the intake tube not seating properly over the impeller.

Intake on filter wasn't sitting right

The maxi jet is my circulation pump

Yeah my brother who knows nothing about keeping fish. He has tried freshwater in the past... No luck. He has managed to keep a betta in a bowl for the past 4 years but I disagree with how he cares for it (changes water when it gets so dirty you can barely see it :-(

Anyways he is picking up a 125 gallon reef tank for $500 with all the accessories.
the previous owner says it has $2000 in coral and no fish

I'm gonna attempt to teach him what I know but he is 8 years older than me so I doubt he will listen

Do your best to impart on him the importance of weekly maintenance. He is accepting responsibility for complex organisms. I hope he listens to you!!!

Do your best to impart on him the importance of weekly maintenance. He is accepting responsibility for complex organisms. I hope he listens to you!!!

yeah I think he will. I've told him all the stuff I have to do. He will pawn it off on my 12yo niece. But she is very smart and would do a good job imo

yeah I think he will. I've told him all the stuff I have to do. He will pawn it off on my 12yo niece. But she is very smart and would do a good job imo

That's good to know even though It's a lot for a 12 year old to grasp.

Yeah she is a straight a student. Used to do all the 4h things hatching and raising chickens and stuff I think she will do alright probably better than me lol

That's awesome. If she's ever interested in showing goats, depending on when y'all county and major shows are, I know where she can get some great ones!

Ok so my parameters as of today are... drum roll please...............
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.0
Temp 77.2
Specific Gravity 1.025
Kh 10
Calcium 420

Back
Top Bottom