Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just have to stand there and look for rocks without aiptasia on it. I've seen brain coral on their live rock. I picked a rock with aiptasia because I didn't know any better. Found 2 big ones last weekend when I moved my rocks around. Aiptasia X'd them buggers.

Yeah I remember seeing coral on a piece but it was a huge piece

Ok so I'm going to change water sources. I found a glacier ro water machine in a grocery store 20 miles from my house. It costs 0.30 a gallon.

Compared to the lfs 60 miles from, my house that sells rodi for 0.75 a gallon or 0.88 a gallon for distilled at walmart

Anyone use one of these machines before?

Yeah my brother who knows nothing about keeping fish. He has tried freshwater in the past... No luck. He has managed to keep a betta in a bowl for the past 4 years but I disagree with how he cares for it (changes water when it gets so dirty you can barely see it :-(

Anyways he is picking up a 125 gallon reef tank for $500 with all the accessories.
the previous owner says it has $2000 in coral and no fish

I'm gonna attempt to teach him what I know but he is 8 years older than me so I doubt he will listen

I say you just take the tank! Lol

This is the first morning I have been away from the house before my aquarium lights come on.
Normal the blues come on with the timer and 30 minutes to an hour later I turn the whites on.

I turned the whites on to where they both are going to come on at the time. This is ok right

This is the first morning I have been away from the house before my aquarium lights come on.
Normal the blues come on with the timer and 30 minutes to an hour later I turn the whites on.

I turned the whites on to where they both are going to come on at the time. This is ok right

It won't hurt occasionally to do that. Blues before whites is just a wake up period.

kwandrsn said:
Ok so I'm going to change water sources. I found a glacier ro water machine in a grocery store 20 miles from my house. It costs 0.30 a gallon.

Compared to the lfs 60 miles from, my house that sells rodi for 0.75 a gallon or 0.88 a gallon for distilled at walmart

Anyone use one of these machines before?

Sure. I used a machine just like that, called a Watermill where I live, for the first couple of years after I started a reef. Most of them are fine but it's often recommended to check the water with a stick type TDS meter just to make sure the owner services his water machine properly.

Definitely get rid of that anemone as soon as possible. I always use a concentrated kalkwasser solution dropped right on top of it with the pumps off. It usually only takes a drop or two. Nothing beats aptasia X but I've always just used kalk. It would be good to google whatever method you plan on going with and look for a video or a site with photos of the process. Every reef tank owner needs to add a killing aptasia method to their skill set within the first couple of days after seeing one. They can reproduce with shocking speed and it gets exponentially more difficult to get rid of then the more they spread. Kill it and then toast to your victory! lol

Ok the machine says it was serviced 2/11
I just bought 4 more orange buckets from home depot now I have 8

I just filled 7 of them with the machine for $10.50 . 35 gallons will last me a few minutes lol. The 5 gallon buckets fit prefect in the machine.

Kinda felt weird filling up a bunch of buckets in publix but one of the bag boys was I'm the parking lot and helped load the buckets. Very nice people there.

I'm getting 3 new corals today
Cabbage leather
Pulsating xenia
Kenya tree

Ahh. Awesome. You'll love them! My pulsing Xenias and Kenya trees are some of my favorites. And I've had my eye on some cabbage leather.

Ok so I got a piece with 4 stalks of pulsating xenia and he broke it into two so I kept 2 stalks and traded the other two to apet66 for 2 small pieces of Kenya tree

A cabbage leather

And a tiny sliver of rock with three tiny green mushrooms

Paid $20 and spent about $25 in gas

Those 4 frags would have cost you $70.00 at AC unless they gave you a deal for $60.00. Plus gas. I'd say you did pretty darn good and we both had our first successful frag swap. Happy happy joy joy!

Here is some pics they are all kinda wilted for now :) can't wait till tomorrow to see them

Wasn't exactly sure about attaching Kenya tree. I just made a mound of super glue and stuck it in it. I guess we will see every other coral I have added in the past was already glued to a base of some sort

Those 4 frags would have cost you $70.00 at AC unless they gave you a deal for $60.00. Plus gas. I'd say you did pretty darn good and we both had our first successful frag swap. Happy happy joy joy!

Yeah we did. I hope the xenia works out for you this time :)

Me too! Hope the Kenya tree stays glued down.

I used quite a but of glue and its down low so not much current it should stay glued. If not I have read you can use a rubber band our put them in sand and let them attach to the sand then glue will hold them :) but I used big mounds of super glue gel so we will see. And thank you again I think the Kenya tree will make a nice addition

Here is some pics they are all kinda wilted for now :) can't wait till tomorrow to see them
http://www.directupload.net

Wasn't exactly sure about attaching Kenya tree. I just made a mound of super glue and stuck it in it. I guess we will see every other coral I have added in the past was already glued to a base of some sort

Looks great and sounds like you got a good deal! Can't wait to see pics of them all opened up!

Looks great and sounds like you got a good deal! Can't wait to see pics of them all opened up!

Yeah me either. The xenia looks great and the cabbage looks to have gotten even larger. The kenya looks to be opening a bit but I figure it will take a while. Tony tried to glue them without success. And I just glued the crap out of them. The mushrooms don't look to have gotten any bigger yet

Back
Top Bottom