My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never been stung by any coral in the same family as the torch. They will go after neighboring corals though as their stinger tentacles can reach out 6'.
As for clowns, you don't want them to try to be hosted by a non anemone. It is stressful and can kill the coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wait 6 feet or 6 inches, because if it's 6 feet how do people have those in there tank. What's your opinion on frogspawns because I want to do the torch or frogspawn.

Here's a question about my star polyp, is there a way to stop it from growing. I was thinking I could put a coral near it and it would not go further.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Inches lol and yeah the torch would sting the gsp

Here are some updated photos I took tonight as I started the process of removing plants.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344600.939645.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344614.697940.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344637.245980.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344649.834142.jpg I was wondering, I have a glass panel on top of my tank to prevent fish from jumping out and to stop salt from rising to my ceiling. Would my tank benefit from removing it? Also tank looks a little foggy because I have been slowly adding new sand to the tank and the option shot may seem crowed in the front but the photo was taken on a slight angle through the opening of the glass lid.
Just finished some scraping in the tank and noticed this white fuzz all over, it was not harming anything it just looked weird like a white/ clear algae. I ran some tests after finishing the scraping, anyone have a idea what this is. Could it be a product from me feeding my fish more food?

Your tank would be of great benefit from removing the glass. Glass tops prevent CO2 exchange. You can easily remove it, but if you are still fearful of carpet surfing you can get a mesh cover from somewhere like dr fosters and smith or get some commercial egg crate from any place like Home Depot and cut it to fit, which is what I use.

Thanks I'm about to run off for the weekend to a forest preserve for photography this weekend with my family I'll take it off when I get back (so I can monitor the change). I have a neighbors daughter coming over to feed fish(fish food is in plastic bag and labor for each day). I still can't decided between a torch coral or frogspawn, which do you guys like the most and why? Also is it common for fish to jump out that I would need a cover.

You can go several days without feeding your fish. They would be fine without eating over the weekend.
As for the two coral, frogspawn is less aggressive than a hammer though some prefer the look of the hammer (like myself).

I know they can go longer with out food but my female starts to pick on the male a lot if she does not get food. Also I was talking about torch coral not hammer coral.

I like torches a lot better than frogs pawns. The torch gives that anemone look to the tank with the long tentacles

There already cleaningImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467756245.633652.jpg
Though my clownfish don't really know what to do about these new guys. I hope they learn that they are helpful and will let them clean them. So is there anything I should know about these two shrimp. One fire shrimp, and a scarlet skunk.

So recently my male clownfish is getting picked on more by the female. Should I put a fake plant back in to give him a hiding spot?

Hiding spots are good, so I'd say go for it

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure someone else had the same thoughts. I placed some of my plants back in. Now when het gets picked on he runs into the shelter of a fake plant. I'll have dry rock for the tank center piece arriving in about 2 weeks because my local fish store ran out of piece of live rock larger then your fist.

I also love these shrimp they have cleaned every spot in the tank, half of the back wall is algae free, the cleaned one of the heaters, the entire motor part of the skimmer in the tank, and the rocks. They don't clean my clownfish though. I guess that parts fine since clownfish don't like to be cleaned.

Yeah, they will likely never clean the clown fish. They are still fun to have in the tank though

Yah there fun to watch I was just surprised how much they cost. I paid 80 dollars for the 2 of them.
I had to clean the tank walls again last night. Do you guys know anyway to keep the walls clean, it seems like I scrape them every 4 days. Also water changes. I do a 25% change every 3-4 weeks, should I do changes more often?

You'll always have film algae on your glass. There isn't any way around it. A good magfloat will make things easy to manage.

Here's a question for you guys, it's about a future project. I will be going to college in 2 years so my parents will have to watch my tank. It would need to be moved out of my room to a easy place to manage like downstairs. Even though this is not going to happen soon, how would you guys suggest I move all my stuff down stairs. This is a more or less fun creative question, can't wait to here the ideas.

I had to move my aquarium not too long ago and I found that having a bucket with rocks and a heater in it helps so that you don't have to rush to move everything. Having rocks doesn't stress the fish as much and a heater keeps the water at a stable temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom