Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
No excitement :p This is a thread where I can put all of the stuff related to my 55 gallon that I've had up and running for 14 months.

I find myself making excessive number of threads when I could just put them all here.

Anyways, tank info:
55 gallon, 18 gallon sump, 4x54w t5ho lights (2 white, 2 blue), reef octopus bh 100 skimmer hanging on my sump, 1 x 750gph koralia, 1 x 240 gph koralia, 1 x ~200 return pump, 50 lbs base rock

Livestock:
2 green chromis, 1 coral beauty, 2 yellowstripe maroon clownfish, lots of snails, leather coral, anthelias, two frogspawn, green star polyp, candy cane, plate coral, hammer coral, zoa rock, GBTA, condy nem, sea cucumber

And of course, pictures!

img_1895763_0_8c9a2021ff542f40ba9b11bbf573b7b5.jpg

old sump picture. since changed skimmers, added LR, filter sock holder, media reactor
358p89c.jpg

And, my latest addition fresh out of the QT, 2 yellowstripe maroon clownfish hosting the GBTA.

img_1895763_2_898e6a81f389d483e9074a96753d0e10.jpg

Soon I'll probably be adding more corals and some more livestock for QT. Also thinking about switching to LEDs.

Thanks Rick!

Right now I'm still in the process of trying to get the condy anemone off of the zoa rock.

Tried moving the rock to the bottom and aiming a powerhead at him. He just refuses to move. So now I'm putting the powerhead RIGHT beside him.

As soon as I get him loose and I fetch my sea cucumber out of the overflow box they are going back to the LFS.

Hey, yeah I did. ICH outbreak, lost my tang, bi-color dottyback, and 2 b&w clowns. I went fishless for 6 weeks, and began quarantining.

Good memory. :)

Some updates.

I finally snatched the sea cucumber out of the overflow box. I had been putting it off because it was a lot of work. Still alive :D yay (that was mean of me to leave him there that long).

Once I can pry the condy off of the zoa rock, I will take it and the cucumber back to the pet store.

Anyways, my bubble tip anemone has been stressed from the clowns hosting it and has been moving around. I'm pretty sure he stung my duncan coral.. 5 heads :( Is it dead?
before
img_1899756_0_f81cc538c8759a67db31ba6192097d08.jpg

after
img_1899756_1_c9dce5c1c2252b9092e4538ecaba366b.jpg

And, my mushroom had a baby! lol Can't see it here but it is underneath. How do mushrooms reproduce? Has to be asexual because I only had one.

img_1899756_2_8fda453606bc698f9532427a8638f69e.jpg

Usually either fission or budding. Or if you cut one in half through the mouth in the center then it should heal into 2. Mine just sprouted little ones all around the big ones.

Usually either fission or budding. Or if you cut one in half through the mouth in the center then it should heal into 2. Mine just sprouted little ones all around the big ones.

That is awesome. I've had corals grow, but never just "produce" a new one. Sure is a cool feeling, huh?

Just wait till you have one "pop up" no where near the rest of your other mushrooms.

Usually. I think the one I had was just a little one that didn't like where it was so it let the current take it to a new spot.

If they are standing up and kinda pinched like in my picture does that mean they need more light?

I'd say that would depend on what the are under now. How big do they get when they open up?

That and the flow. Mine don't mind my MH but they hate anything more than low to moderate flow.

I have great lighting. 4x54w t5ho on a 55g
Might be the flow. But I've had him on the sandbed too in a different area and he did the same thing.
Sometimes he lays flat. About as big as a half dollar coin (US).

Might just be his personality. Mine take all different shapes, some open up really big ( about 3 in) while some of the others just conform to the rock face. I can take a pic in the am when the lights are back on.

I've had shrooms that have moved around and they always left a lil blob of them selves behind. that lil blob turned into another shroom. Pumping xenia are realy good at this too.

Yeah if your gona get a generator dont pussyfoot around. Get a good one, I can run my tank, and a few other things off the one I have

Generators are a great idea. Look into construction companies. They sometimes sell old one for cheap or Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom