Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Just got back from Clearfield. Bought a 55 gal tank w/ custom stand, heater, and hob filter for 150 bucks. Awesome deal. Working on filling it up with RO/DI water so I can mix up salt and start dreaming up the new aquascape.

I'm thinking about getting play sand or something this time around, be much cheaper. It is agitate that I want right? Can't remember.

I took a pic of the setup, I'll post it later on with the dimensions.

img_1810392_0_14082b6d010a1ca924559b30370e9dd1.jpg

Play sand is very fine. Not sure if you plan on having and sifting or burrowing inhabitants but it is hard for them to form burrows without bigger pieces of rumble to form walls. Im mainly thinking pistol shrimp. Im sure a burrowing fish do ok. Make sure you put rock on glass then put sand in. IMO looks more unnatural without different siZe pieces and shell rumble.

So, I have 60 lbs of sand in my 55 now. We are full of water and I added the salt a couple days ago. I'll test it on my days off and get the heater in to warm it up. Since I have LR in my 36 gal, is there a need to cycle? The sand def isn't live, but would a slow move over once it is squared away ok? It will take some time since I haven't even ordered lights yet.

I just ordered my first Radion. Heartrate is through the roof on this one, that was a heavy purchase lol. It'll all be worth it.

I also threw in some ammonia yesterday to start the cycle. This will get things started nicely for the one piece of porous rock I have in there and the 60 lbs of aggregate sand. I even threw in all the dead coral in too for more area for bacterial growth.

Continuing to cycle. Haven't checked levels yet, planning on it for Sunday. Got my Radion in the mail however! Just need to find something to hang it off of and I'll be set. Really excited. I'll post pics when I get it up.

Sniperhank said:
I just ordered my first Radion. Heartrate is through the roof on this one, that was a heavy purchase lol. It'll all be worth it.

LOL! Spending alot of money on stuff does that to me too! How much was your light, if you don't mind my asking?

Sniperhank said:
Continuing to cycle. Haven't checked levels yet, planning on it for Sunday. Got my Radion in the mail however! Just need to find something to hang it off of and I'll be set. Really excited. I'll post pics when I get it up.

Looking forward to the pics! Also, how deep is your sand bed? I've wondered how much sand I will need once I get everything started.

I'm on my second week. I might have screwed myself by over dosing ammonia. Just took about 10 gallons out of my tank and refilled it with RO/DI. I did this only because not only can I not measure ammonia, I can't measure salt and mixed up a 55 gallon batch of 1.044 water.

Sniperhank said:
I'm on my second week. I might have screwed myself by over dosing ammonia. Just took about 10 gallons out of my tank and refilled it with RO/DI. I did this only because not only can I not measure ammonia, I can't measure salt and mixed up a 55 gallon batch of 1.044 water.

Well, at least you don't have fish in there yet! Better to make mistakes now then when you have $500 worth of fish and coral in it!

I'm jealous of you, btw. I want to be cycling a saltwater tank right now too. Must... Have.... Patience! Ugh...

Lol, don't be. I already made those hundred dollar mistakes. My 36 gal is running smoothly. It needs to be in the 55 though...that and I need to throw a rig together for my lighting and move cash around so I can get my last radion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom