Angelfish breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy856

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So for the past 2 weeks, my 2 Angels have been sticking together, and cleaning off a piece of slate over and over again. One more than the other, but they still remain side by side. And today, for the past hour or so, it seems as if the are "fighting" and lip-locking. Well, I guess that's what you could call it. Just wondering, should I be expecting some eggs in the near future? Anyone out there in the community have any advice? Thanks ?

image-3779183807.jpg

This is them in the middle of "fighting" sorry for quality

image-537705273.jpg

And this is during 5 min intermission

Yes. Lip-locking is a prenuptial dispaly/ action prior to spawning. ( I saw!! I'm a little late with this info. LOL)

There is a thread under this breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!" which is an ongoing thread by pro and hobbyist Angelfish breeders all about breeding and raising Angelfish. It might help you to read through it. It's long, but has just about every piece of info you need to breed and raise the fry.

Hope this helps :)

It has thankyou :) I just dk if my male knows his job... Ate some eggs, now he's just protecting the huge amount left

It has thankyou :) I just dk if my male knows his job... Ate some eggs, now he's just protecting the huge amount left

It usually takes a few times for new breeders to get the whole system down. I've had females actually lay a line of eggs then go back and eat them all then lay another line and do it again. I don't even think about success or failures until about the 5th or 6th spawns.

Just keep at it (y)

That's normal for the first few spawns of most fish. They eventually get it right. Just remember, there's always artificial rearing too. You can pull the eggs and raise them yourself. Nothing wrong with doing that and if you do the research, you can have higher success rates.

Funny story.

One of my pairs of angels spawned, I took the eggs to raise. My other pair spawned two days later. The male from the first pair took over the eggs from the second pair and raised them to free swimming. He wouldn't let me near the second batch.

Well I had about 100+ eggs on a slate that haven't turned moldy, but a pleco got to it right as I was about to move it to the separate tank :( but I saved about 25 in the process, and there's only 3 moldy, but so far so good.

Read the thread wigglers at last. We have alot of infomation on there andy and bob are amazing wealths of knowledge and remwmber your angels will give you lots of oppurtunitys to get it right. It took me about 10-12 tries at eggs before i got to pea size. Now i pretty much have it down pat.

I have two pairs of Angelfish that have now laid four clutches of eggs one pairs made it to wigglers before getting eaten the other pairs eggs are gone in 24 hours. I have wigglers now so I used a turkey baster and moved so to a breeder net with a small piece of drift wood in it. The other pair just laid theirs eggs 3 hours ago I moved the eggs to a 8 gallon tank that has tap water, heater and the filter they laid them on no gravel. If this is not right please let me know.

I let mine lay then move them into a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter meth blue and a heater with water around 78-80. I leave them about 2-3 inches away from the sponge so the eggs get water movement around the eggs. It all depends on what works for you

I have two pairs of Angelfish that have now laid four clutches of eggs one pairs made it to wigglers before getting eaten the other pairs eggs are gone in 24 hours. I have wigglers now so I used a turkey baster and moved so to a breeder net with a small piece of drift wood in it. The other pair just laid theirs eggs 3 hours ago I moved the eggs to a 8 gallon tank that has tap water, heater and the filter they laid them on no gravel. If this is not right please let me know

Back
Top Bottom