angelfish laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubreekay1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my fish layed eggs I was wondering why she was being so agressive toward the other fish until I seen her rubbing her belly on the filter.. so she layed them and tryed to protect them from the other fish. Then I seen her picking them off with her mouth I also have a blach angel not sure if male or female but it was doing it also .. I ?oved the 2 fish after I noticed all the eggs gone into another tank .. now they won't eat or spit the eggs out did she possibly eat them?? Or could they be in their mouths still?? Any advice would help other tank set up is 2 firemouths 2 green terrors 1 frontosa one albino oscar one tiger oscar 2 plecco a minno which suprisenly has not been eaten yet

Angel fish will move eggs if they are not happy with the spot they first laid them. They usually don't eat them and they do not mouth brood, but they are protective of their eggs after they are laid, but if they don't hatch eventually they'll stop guarding them.

If any hatch, the parents will guard them for the first few days. You'd need very small food for fry if you get some.

Females will spawn even if there is no male around, but the eggs will be sterile if there's no male to fertilize them. They can spawn regularly once they start doing it.

If you watch for the next time, you may see the eggs being laid and be able to tell if you have a pair, male and female, or just females.. the one laying eggs obviously is a girl, the male if there is one will be fertilizing. Might be pics online of them with breeding tubes showing, I'm not sure.

Other fish might well eat the eggs, one reason the Angel fish will try to protect them and or move them, if they feel they are threatened by other fish.

EDit. there are pics of them with the breeding tubes.. females have a shorter, blunter one, males have a thinner, longer one. Search for 'angel fish with breeding tubes out image', you'll get a bunch of pics

So my fish layed eggs I was wondering why she was being so agressive toward the other fish until I seen her rubbing her belly on the filter.. so she layed them and tryed to protect them from the other fish. Then I seen her picking them off with her mouth I also have a blach angel not sure if male or female but it was doing it also .. I ?oved the 2 fish after I noticed all the eggs gone into another tank .. now they won't eat or spit the eggs out did she possibly eat them?? Or could they be in their mouths still?? Any advice would help other tank set up is 2 firemouths 2 green terrors 1 frontosa one albino oscar one tiger oscar 2 plecco a minno which suprisenly has not been eaten yet

There is a thread in this breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!" which is an ongoing conversation all about breeding Angels by commercial breeders (such as myself :brows:) as well as fellow AA hobbyist breeders. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding these fish has been discussed on the thread. (Including pictures :) )

Hope this helps (y)

Thx I've been reading it it does help but another question ?? How am I going to know there fertilized if there in her mouth?? I only had a chance to see her lay then then I finished what I was doing about 2 hours later I go over there and her and my other angel are picking them off the filter and she's(Rose) ramming the other angel (Axel) ?? I really hope they are tho.

But there not eating the food I given them the past 2 days n yes it is the first time

Thx I've been reading it it does help but another question ?? How am I going to know there fertilized if there in her mouth?? I only had a chance to see her lay then then I finished what I was doing about 2 hours later I go over there and her and my other angel are picking them off the filter and she's(Rose) ramming the other angel (Axel) ?? I really hope they are tho.

Unfortunately, Angelfish only put eggs in their mouths that they are eating. Nothing else. You saw them eating the eggs and that may be why they didn't eat the other food....they were full ;).
The good news is that first timers rarely have a successful spawn so you are most likely not missing much.
I'd suggest you put in another place for them to lay their eggs on for the next time. Pieces of slate have been the preferred spawning site for many years but now they do offer Plexiglass spawning sites, Terra Cotta pots, breeding cones, PVC piping, etc. So many better choices ( for you) than on the filter's box.

Second point, when spawning Angelfish, it's been found that tanks with internal sponge filters have a better hatch rate than those with HOB filters. My guess is that the HOBs take the sperm and remove it from the water faster than the eggs can be fertilized. With the sponge filter, nothing is being removed, just biologically changed.

Lastly, Angelfish eggs turn white when they are not fertilized or if they die after fertilization. This usually happens within the first 24 hours for unfertilized eggs but at any time for post fertilized egg. What usually happens is the pair will pick off the dead eggs as they turn white. HOWEVER, in your case, it's possible that the male? was too immature to spawn so he did what comes naturally to them. The female may have eaten the eggs because either she knew they weren't going to hatch or she felt too insecure in the tank to let them try to hatch. No telling at this point.

Read through the Wigglers thread. This has already been discussed there I believe ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks I've been reading wigglers at last I've only gotten a few pages.... =( I really wanted to c little babies swimming around but maybe next time....n thx ill have to get some more stuff to put in the tank its a 55gal with 2 little plants that my oscar keeps destroying n a monster n a rock ... here's a pic of my angels

20131128_184743.jpg

Thanks I've been reading wigglers at last I've only gotten a few pages.... =( I really wanted to c little babies swimming around but maybe next time....n thx ill have to get some more stuff to put in the tank its a 55gal with 2 little plants that my oscar keeps destroying n a monster n a rock ... here's a pic of my angels

View attachment 209821

For what it's worth, Oscars and Angels are not really good tankmates, especially if you want the Angels to have successful spawns. The best way of getting successful spawns is to have the angels by themselves. 1 pair does not need a 55 gal tank for breeding. Anything from a 10 gal to 20 gals will suffice. This way, you can have your display tank for your Oscar and the breeding tank for your Angels.

Keep reading Wigglers ;)

Yea I took them out. And put them in a tank by their self .. now they are just fighting and my black one (axel) his mouth is getting torn up.. Rose is so aggressive toward him they have been doing this face off thing and will wiggle at each other....its kinda funny to watch .. but there still not eating like usual I'm going to try something other than bloodworms n flakes to see if they eat it..what would go good with them also?? Id like to have them with other fish not alone ??

Yea I took them out. And put them in a tank by their self .. now they are just fighting and my black one (axel) his mouth is getting torn up.. Rose is so aggressive toward him they have been doing this face off thing and will wiggle at each other....its kinda funny to watch .. but there still not eating like usual I'm going to try something other than bloodworms n flakes to see if they eat it..what would go good with them also?? Id like to have them with other fish not alone ??

Okay, here's the drawback to having a mated pair of Angelfish: When they want to spawn, they will beat up anything else that is in the tank with them or really harass the other fish to keep them away from them. Your best bet, if you want to have them keep spawning, is to keep them by themselves. If this is not what you want to do, you should either separate them into different tanks or trade them in to your LFS for other smaller ones so you can raise some more. It sounds like your pair are going to be really aggressive towards each other so they will be as bad if not worse towards other fish. That's my opinion of course but based on my years of experience with these fish, this is a common outcome. Everybody wants breeders until they see what all is involved. It can get pretty ugly. Many of my pairs were not salable by the time they were done breeding. Torn fins, broken bones, disfigurements are common with breeding pairs of Cichlids ( Angels are Cichlids. ) Your choice;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Yes that is exactly they do .. rose is so aggressive toward any fish by her but its a completely different aggression when it is toward axel she bites his mouth and rams him if he is too close to her when she wants to be alone... I've noticed her belly starting to swell up again, how often do they lay eggs.. thx for ur help this site was great to come by ... I'm going to read wigglers some more its been giving me some tips.... I'm excited to go to the pet store later and buy them stuff ..

Angels can spawn as frequently as every 7-10 days. You need a lot of tanks to keep up with breeding pairs that go that often. I use about 4-5 tanks per pair of Angels I breed. Just preparing you ;)

O wow really lol I was thinking maybe once a month... my angel was so huge I thought she was going to explode..then I put a heater in there and she laid a million eggs ..

O wow really lol I was thinking maybe once a month... my angel was so huge I thought she was going to explode..then I put a heater in there and she laid a million eggs ..

Angelfish are tropical fish so they do better in water between 78-82 degrees. Unfortunately, that's also the best breeding temp as well. Get ready to either treat your fish right or get them to stop breeding :brows:

Ok I was saying before that axels mouth was messed up because rose kept attacking him now it looks kinda puffy and is white kinda I have no idea what it is.. do you possibly have any idea what it could be ??

Ok I was saying before that axels mouth was messed up because rose kept attacking him now it looks kinda puffy and is white kinda I have no idea what it is.. do you possibly have any idea what it could be ??

Without a pic I can't say for sure but I would imagine it's a secondary infection from the lip locking and needs to be treated, in a separate tank, with an antibiotic ( I use Furan-2 for most things cause it attacks both gram - & gram + bacteria.) Because it's white(ish) it could be Bacterial or Fungal and Furan- 2 works on both.

Hope this helps (y)

Thx going to go to pet store to get some... ill post a pic in a few that way you can see here is one for now not a good angel axel is shy so its hard to get a good pic

ForumRunner_20131205_091021.jpg

I'm assuming you are talking about the dark marble. Yes, his lip is injured. Treat with antibiotic so it doesn't get worse. This is common with cichlids. Lip locking can take it's toll on the breeders. It's not unusual for breeder fish to be, how do I say this gently?, not the prettiest fish in the pond. In fact, DOWN RIGHT UGLY can be a better expression. This is why I don't recommend breeding to people who need to see their fish looking perfect. That's a rarity with cichlids.

Hope this helps

Yes sorry the black one (axel) got a better pic I treated them so hopefully works thx =)
ForumRunner_20131206_081513.jpg

Back
Top Bottom