Angelfish Mating Ritual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For mating behavior, you're looking for something like this:

For aggression/territorial behavior, it looks more like this:

See how in the first one they're staying pretty close together the whole time, and when not lip locked there's mostly just little nips? Now look at the second. Far more aggressive posturing, and one is clearly trying to run away after the first few bites.

Hopefully these examples help :)

Great videos Luananeko. ( I need to spend more time on Youtube. ;) lol )
On a side note, the mating "dance" will probably only happen once for a pair. Once bonded, they usually don't go through that again unless they are trying out a different partner. For my pairs, it's just clean the slate, get down to business. ;) I don;t usually see the dance because I make the pairs instead of letting the fish do it. When there are few to no choices, the decision is already made for them. It's less damaging on the fish in the long run. (y)

For mating behavior, you're looking for something like this:

For aggression/territorial behavior, it looks more like this:

See how in the first one they're staying pretty close together the whole time, and when not lip locked there's mostly just little nips? Now look at the second. Far more aggressive posturing, and one is clearly trying to run away after the first few bites.

Hopefully these examples help :)

Thanks a lot for the videos it really did help but I'm still pretty sure what my fish are doing is mating behaviour
I know my video was short and I couldn't film it properly and show everything but next time when I get a chance i'll upload a longer and better video and you can tell me what it looks like
Again thanks for your help I appreciate it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there any way that I can make my angelfish show their breeding tubes so I can tell which one is male and female?
Also would feeding them brine shrimp and bloodworms 3 times a week help/encourage them to breed?

Is there any way that I can make my angelfish show their breeding tubes so I can tell which one is male and female?
Also would feeding them brine shrimp and bloodworms 3 times a week help/encourage them to breed?

No, you can not force the fish to show their sexes but you can encourage them to spawn by giving them good water parameters and a healthy diet on a regular basis. That means DAILY btw ;) Get them into a regimen of water changes on a particular day and the fish will usually spawn after the change. All this, of course, is baste on the fish actually being old enough to spawn in the first place. No matter what you do to young fish, they will not spawn.
Hope this helps (y)

No, you can not force the fish to show their sexes but you can encourage them to spawn by giving them good water parameters and a healthy diet on a regular basis. That means DAILY btw ;) Get them into a regimen of water changes on a particular day and the fish will usually spawn after the change. All this, of course, is baste on the fish actually being old enough to spawn in the first place. No matter what you do to young fish, they will not spawn.

Hope this helps (y)

Alright sorry :p that's what I meant and you say healthy diet what can I give them to encourage them to breed?
So your saying that after a water change the angels will start to breed start away?
My angels are pretty big so I think they should be able to breed

Alright sorry :p that's what I meant and you say healthy diet what can I give them to encourage them to breed?
So your saying that after a water change the angels will start to breed start away?
My angels are pretty big so I think they should be able to breed

This is what I feed all my Angels daily: Morning- Omega one flakes for all tropical fish. Afternoon- meat protein ( freeze dried ( because I don't have access to live) Tubifex worms, Bloodworms or shrimp ( non artemia). These foods can be frozen or freeze dried depending on what you have available in your stores. Last meal- frozen brine shrimp. I will use freeze dried but prefer frozen. I know that brine shrimp has very little nutritional value on its own and I don't enhance the brine shrimp with any supplements. I am feeding it for it's roughage value because I want them pooping out all of the other foods I have been feeding throughout the day. Plain brine shrimp helps them do that. That's their routine 24/7-365. It's been my way for quite a few decades (y)

As for breeding and water changes:
Let's assume you have perfect water because you do weekly water changes and these changes are large enough to clean the water but small enough to keep the fish from stressing out from the change ( I do 10%-15% of volume weekly). When they are ready to spawn or "thinking" about spawning, a water change with a couple degree drop in temp tends to get them going. It usually happens within the first day or 2 after the water change. If your fish don;t spawn, you may not have as good a water chemistry as you think or your fish may not be old enough yet. Size is not the determining factor for breeding, age is.

I hope this helps. (y)

You may want to read through the thread "Wigglers at last!!!!" in this breeding forum. It's an ongoing discussion by both professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders and just about everything you need to know for breeding and raising Angels has been discussed on that thread. (y)

This is what I feed all my Angels daily: Morning- Omega one flakes for all tropical fish. Afternoon- meat protein ( freeze dried ( because I don't have access to live) Tubifex worms, Bloodworms or shrimp ( non artemia). These foods can be frozen or freeze dried depending on what you have available in your stores. Last meal- frozen brine shrimp. I will use freeze dried but prefer frozen. I know that brine shrimp has very little nutritional value on its own and I don't enhance the brine shrimp with any supplements. I am feeding it for it's roughage value because I want them pooping out all of the other foods I have been feeding throughout the day. Plain brine shrimp helps them do that. That's their routine 24/7-365. It's been my way for quite a few decades (y)

As for breeding and water changes:
Let's assume you have perfect water because you do weekly water changes and these changes are large enough to clean the water but small enough to keep the fish from stressing out from the change ( I do 10%-15% of volume weekly). When they are ready to spawn or "thinking" about spawning, a water change with a couple degree drop in temp tends to get them going. It usually happens within the first day or 2 after the water change. If your fish don;t spawn, you may not have as good a water chemistry as you think or your fish may not be old enough yet. Size is not the determining factor for breeding, age is.

I hope this helps. (y)

You may want to read through the thread "Wigglers at last!!!!" in this breeding forum. It's an ongoing discussion by both professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders and just about everything you need to know for breeding and raising Angels has been discussed on that thread. (y)

Thanks alot i appreciate your advice :)
For feeding i feed them frozen foods once a week like on a saturday and i mostly feed them brine shrimp, bloodworms (sometimes) and daphnia. Also i only feed them once a day so i dont feed them flake and then frozen food together in one day do you think i should change that and start feeding them frozen food more often?
Also dont you fast your fishes once a week? because i do that and does that affect them not to breed?
Also i thought brine shrimp has some nutritional value instead it being used to clear the fishes stomachs

ive got a 200 litre tank and when i do water changes i change around 1/4 or 1/2 of the water. im pretty sure my water chemstiry is good as i currently have 2 gold severums laying eggs and breeding so i doubt thats a problem.

I cant currently tell which one of my angels are male and female which is a problem :/

I've seen that thread but its not about angelfish more so to do with other fishes so i dont know if that will help

Thanks alot i appreciate your advice :)
For feeding i feed them frozen foods once a week like on a saturday and i mostly feed them brine shrimp, bloodworms (sometimes) and daphnia. Also i only feed them once a day so i dont feed them flake and then frozen food together in one day do you think i should change that and start feeding them frozen food more often?
Also dont you fast your fishes once a week? because i do that and does that affect them not to breed?
Also i thought brine shrimp has some nutritional value instead it being used to clear the fishes stomachs

ive got a 200 litre tank and when i do water changes i change around 1/4 or 1/2 of the water. im pretty sure my water chemstiry is good as i currently have 2 gold severums laying eggs and breeding so i doubt thats a problem.

I cant currently tell which one of my angels are male and female which is a problem :/

I've seen that thread but its not about angelfish more so to do with other fishes so i dont know if that will help

I have not found feeding 3 times per day to be excessive or problematic. In fact, I think it helps the Angels want to breed because that schedule allows for a constant food source and I assume, them thinking that the food source would be available for their fry. I have never starved a fish intentionally and don;t see it to be of any value to today's tropical fish as most are not wild specimens but tank raised ones that are used to being fed daily multiple feedings.
As for the frozen brine shrimp, it does have some nutritional value but minimal at best. It's mainly water and roughage which is why I feed it opposed to other frozen foods.
As for the wigglers thread, I'm not sure you saw the right one. it's all about Angelfish breeding and raising of the fry. There have a been a few posts about other fish but the thread is an ongoing one about Angelfish. I post to it frequently about what I have done and am doing in breeding my Angels.
Not being able to tell the sexes of your fish is not really a big problem. When they are ready, they will tell you which 2 have paired up. They will keep the others away from them. ;)

I hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom