Apisto Breeding Journal Version 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know what is going on with my apistos either my cacs spawned quite a few times and so far I've only had one survivor my A. Inka killed each other. The Macmasteri, Hongsloi and Viejita all dead could find no reason for it. All I have left now are a pair of Trifasciata, Rio Mamore and GBR if I lose these too I may be done with dwarves all together.:(

I dont know what is going on with my apistos either my cacs spawned quite a few times and so far I've only had one survivor my A. Inka killed each other. The Macmasteri, Hongsloi and Viejita all dead could find no reason for it. All I have left now are a pair of Trifasciata, Rio Mamore and GBR if I lose these too I may be done with dwarves all together.:(
interesting that you should respond to this today, as i was just about to post an update :)

i traded the pandas in for a pair of GBR, and the female is looking rather fat (eggs?!?!?!?!?!?!) we shall see :)

JDogg, post a pic of the female and I may be able to tell you if she has eggs or not. I was pretty good at telling that with my female GBR's, as well as when they would spawn.

What size tank did you put them in? I'd do a decent size PWC tomorrow and then the same size on Mon/Tue if you can. I had great luck in doing that with mine.

JDogg, post a pic of the female and I may be able to tell you if she has eggs or not. I was pretty good at telling that with my female GBR's, as well as when they would spawn.

What size tank did you put them in? I'd do a decent size PWC tomorrow and then the same size on Mon/Tue if you can. I had great luck in doing that with mine.
will try to get pics a little later, and do a pwc

they are in a low-light, lightly planted (mostly wood and java fern) 20L with a male and 2 female guppies and on oto. there are ramshorn snails who may try to eat eggs, so i will try to coax them out and into another tank.

Later in the Day...
this is the best picture she would let me get of her, she is hiding the the back corner. plus the tank is low light, so the camera does not like to take pictures well without the flash
img_845618_0_5e4d373ea8fe3555f9036acd07850a30.jpg

i also did a ~50% pwc today

Last edited:
Do you have some smooth flat stones or a couple of clay pot saucers for them to spawn on? Both work very well, but the stones are easier for them to clean( especially the polished ones) and more decorative of course. Hope they spawn as much for you as much as mine did for me.

Do you have some smooth flat stones or a couple of clay pot saucers for them to spawn on? Both work very well, but the stones are easier for them to clean( especially the polished ones) and more decorative of course. Hope they spawn as much for you as much as mine did for me.
that female is dead :(, i could not find her for 3 days, then i found her dead :(

the male is doing great though, very active, and getting his color up. will have to try to pick up a new female.

i have some slate i can put in the tank, should i lay it flat or prop it up at an angle?

That is too bad. She looked like she would be ready to spawn soon. I never had any luck with vertical or semi- vertical sufaces the two different pairs that I had both chose a smooth surface on the bottom, but it never hurts to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom