Apisto Breeding Journal Version 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What works for Panduros should work for Nijsseni, after all they are very, very closely related as far as habits, location and what not. Although I never had any luck breeding either of these fish so, I could be talking out my rear.

well as an update, they have been acting a little more like a "pair" *KNOCK ON WOOD*

an i noticed that the female spending more time in and around of the the cave, i am hoping that she might have eggs, fingers are crossed, i can not see in the cave as the hole is just big enough for her. well let you know if any fry peak out.

again, fingers are crossed! :?

re to post

:? Not necessarily RW what works for panduros so far doesen't work for nijsseni even though they are simular species they ae different UWE Romer proved that by trying to interbreed them and it did not work. JDogg My nijsseni always look like they are going to do the deal both dancing and shivering at each other nosing mid section every thing cave mout gets filled but never any eggs. I really Hope you have success sincerely do.

Sincerely Curtis

I've been asking people that I know that have had luck spawning them, and they told me that all you can do if the water params are right is wait. Apparently the first spawn opens a spawning floodgate. I hope this helps, this is all I can offer right now.

yeah i am trying to be patent with them, jus an FYI current reading are

ph 6.4
KH 3-4 degrees
GH 5 degrees

Gillie said:
Do you know if the breeder raised them in conditions similar to their natural enviroment or in tap water?
don't know, got the pandas from LFS

the cacs i got from a local breeder, she said she raise them in RO, but did not give hardness and PH

Gillie said:
Anything yet??????
guess it is about time for an update....

well i have the KH down to 2 and the GH down to 1, with CO2 i have a PH of ~5.5...

still nothing yet, lost all the neon i had as dithers, when my heater went hay-wire, but Apistos are fine...

replaced the neon over the weekend with a trio of guppies as someone said that the hormones given off by pregnant livebearers might put the apistos in the mood, we will see...:?

well time for another update...

between Peat, CO2 and PH 5.0 Seachem Discus Buffer i have gotten the water down to PH 5.2, KH 2 and GH 0

the nijsseni are "acting" like they are in the mood, the female had dug out a "cave" under a piece of driftwood which she is only leaving for food and to chase the guppies when the get to close. the male is also defending this "cave" from the guppies.

i think this is a good sign, don't you?

on a side note - as far as i can tell the guppies might have had fry, but the nijsseni eat them before i actually saw them (but the females were fatter for a few days)

Knocking on wood that i get babies!!!

Great news! Maybe snacking on guppy fry helped them along.

I was reading an article today, it said Nijsseni rank up there with Dicrossus and Taeniacara in breeding difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom