Artificially raising Keyhole cichlids REPORT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering that you had no options, donating them was probably the best route to take.

Maybe somehow, someway, they will make it across the pond and I will have some. :D

My lfs is keeping them in a tank with some bigger keyhole cichlids, and will keep them for as long as they can. Maybe there will be some people who are willing to take my (too) small fry and grow them out themselves.
Most people come in and want (near)-adult couples of cichlids, that's why I didn't get allot for them. (can of food)

Thanks mattrox, I'm sure when I finish studying and move to a place of my own I will restart breeding fish. Only 3 years to go...... :)

What an interesting thread and GREAT pictures!! I have been reading about these cichlids today and have been thinking of getting a pair for my 37 gallon tank, do you think they are too big to be in there with 3 botia striata and a BN pleco?

Really adorable fry, well done!

Lonewolfblue said:
Went through the thread. Great job..... (y)

Thank you :wink:

About keeping them with zebra loaches....I don't have experience with these species, but if they are very active and chasing eachother around the tank all the time I wouldn't really recommend keyhole cichlids. They like calm, docile companions, otherwise they will be hiding allot and be under constant stress. Keyhole cichlids are very skittish of nature, so be carefull what tankmates you choose for them.

I know it's been said, but this thread is a terrific read - and a belated congrats on your tremendous success!

I'd love to keep keyholes someday - there may just be a 29 gallon species tank in my future if I can ever come across them (I think I actually saw some recently at an LFS out in the 'burbs)...

Back
Top Bottom