Texas Cichlids being temperamental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was telling you to be patient and go for the real deal. In the long run, there will be a higher demand, which means more money to put back into your tanks, as well as providing future generations with a quality fish. I don't see how that was bashing hybrids and everything. The word mutt is generally used to describe an individual of "un-pure" origins, not necessarily an insult unless taken as such. I even stated that I wasn't trying or going to start a debate on hybrids, hence why I got frustrated when yet another one of my posts got twisted and contorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
In my opinion and many hybrid breeders IE flower horns, If you want to breed hybrids do it with hybrids. Flower horns bring big bucks with the right pair. Also if you go to the hybrid forums you will see the same debates going on. The true breeders will cull any flower horns that resemble either of the pure fish used to create the flower horn. There are well known hybrids out there but there has to be some type of control with what makes it to the public. I see no problem with proper breeding of rose queens, blood parrots ( I really think its cruel to produce these so I kinda do) and flower horns. How ever if there are parrots that look just like a red devil or midas they need to be culled so they don't end up breeding with other midas or devils. Again just my opinion.
You say one person cant make a difference but the more people that understand what happens when a hybrid ends up with some one that wants to breed fish but dont know its a hybrid.

Let's artificially breed a great white and a Flower horn guys:thumbup::p

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion and many hybrid breeders IE flower horns, If you want to breed hybrids do it with hybrids. Flower horns bring big bucks with the right pair. Also if you go to the hybrid forums you will see the same debates going on. The true breeders will cull any flower horns that resemble either of the pure fish used to create the flower horn. There are well known hybrids out there but there has to be some type of control with what makes it to the public. I see no problem with proper breeding of rose queens, blood parrots ( I really think its cruel to produce these so I kinda do) and flower horns. How ever if there are parrots that look just like a red devil or midas they need to be culled so they don't end up breeding with other midas or devils. Again just my opinion.
You say one person cant make a difference but the more people that understand what happens when a hybrid ends up with some one that wants to breed fish but dont know its a hybrid.

I an appreciate the way this was worded and it also make sense to me. I may look into it further, depending on what is going on in my life in the next few days or weeks. Im planning a trip to the LFS so maybe i will get different fish to make some more obvious hybrids. Again, thanks for putting it in this way, and making sense.

However, my aim isn't to breed hybrids. My aim is to not go broke on something that i want to do as a hobby and an experience and not a job. Im serious about it, this hobby is the most expensive thing ive ever been a part of, but i can go running bucks on fish when it, to me doesnt make a big difference.

@TMRC- i know that nobody meant to offend me and none was really taken, i just didn't appreciate the way it was approached. Also, i didn't mean to bring up the whole conversation, i realize what you mean. I did bring it up at first. Im still not really digging this whole discussion that has basically not helped much, but whatever.

@FreakGecko- i dont think i twisted your words, maybe we just didnt interpret it in the same way? I willing to settle it at that if its all good :)

Also, especially if spoken to humans, mutt can easily be taken offensively. But again, my opinion.

But, as possibly a not for me and others in the future: maybe just say "it might be better to get another ______ instead of hybridizing, if you have that option" instead if just going after the person, esp. about a situation that didn't happen.

No hard feeling towards any of you, i get that its all opinionated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think as long as you care for the fish you have, than that's all should be said.as long as your not throwing it in a lake.

Shouldn't be a debate when it's contained, obviously. But if someone is to eventually get rid of it in a manner if putting it in to lakes than I'm against that.

Back
Top Bottom