Baby Platies and Pictus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma_Charisma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm on a road to nowhere (Or, Idaho, I guess)
Hello everyone! Recently my bumblebee platy gave birth (the fry were born on April 3-4). I have the fry safe and sound in a net breeder, and they seem quite healthy! I'm very excited.
I have one concern- when do I let them be with the other fish? In the tank there is the mother, one female Bristlenose Plecostomus, and a Pictus Catfish.
I'm most worried about the catfish, because he is the largest in the tank (about 3.5~4 inches). I've seen sites saying 6-10 weeks is a safe time to let the fry with the rest of the fish-- is that accurate, or should I wait longer due to the size of the fish?
I am grateful for any help or suggestions I can get. Have a nice week!

Idk my platy gave birth and all the deformed tints sunk to the bottom where my 7 inch pictus catfish ( he's huge!) disposed if them and that's when I removed the ones that were left.

Hello everyone! Recently my bumblebee platy gave birth (the fry were born on April 3-4). I have the fry safe and sound in a net breeder, and they seem quite healthy! I'm very excited.
I have one concern- when do I let them be with the other fish? In the tank there is the mother, one female Bristlenose Plecostomus, and a Pictus Catfish.
I'm most worried about the catfish, because he is the largest in the tank (about 3.5~4 inches). I've seen sites saying 6-10 weeks is a safe time to let the fry with the rest of the fish-- is that accurate, or should I wait longer due to the size of the fish?
I am grateful for any help or suggestions I can get. Have a nice week!
I personally keep the fry in a separate 20 gallon tank until 3 months, at that age you can tell their gender and can insure you won't put to many males in with your female so she will not be bombarded with males trying to mate and get stressed out what I would do is set up a 10 gallon tank for the fry, it will be a while until they are big enough to not get picked on, if you have a planted tank this is different the fry instinctively will hide in the plants and pretty much only come out at feedings you just have to be sure to add plenty of fry food in the plant area

I personally keep the fry in a separate 20 gallon tank until 3 months, at that age you can tell their gender and can insure you won't put to many males in with your female so she will not be bombarded with males trying to mate and get stressed out

This helped out a lot. I moved them to another tank and I think they like having more space to themselves. Can't wait to get them in the main tank--
thanks for the information and help! :fish2: :D

Back
Top Bottom