Baby shrimp help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soo.... Look at this guy we found. My wife found him inside the tank- outside the breeding box- hanging out!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402016510.565059.jpg
He's bigger and redder than the other baby shrimp. I put him in the breeding box so he doesn't get harassed. What so you guys think? Why is he bigger? Maybe from not being in the breeding box and hiding from the tetras?? Maybe he is part of a different litter?

Perhaps it is from a different batch that hatched earlier. I was also thinking it was an escapee from the latest batch that found a variety of food (mature biofilm) that has helped with growth.

I noticed those that survived loose in our 30 are bigger than the ones we "rescued" the tank babies are already out running around no longer hiding. They're still tiny but I think they just had a better food source. They're eating bottom feeder tabs and flake food already.

4 weeks update.
Big kahuna is in the bottom left. He is less red, and more clear than when we found him.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402526618.509734.jpg

Pretty soon you will have to sell/get rid of some before the heard gets out of hand....lol. Good work so far.

Well, so, Here's my problem:
I bought ten adult shrimp five weeks ago.

Then I found a half shrimp about a week later.
Two disappeared later that week. Poof.
I found one dead a week later, then another dead the next week. Now I only have five adult shrimp.

Each died about 10 days apart, with the exception of the two that went poof in one night. I looked all over, not even one floating antenna for those two. The only thing I can think of is the tetras. They are normally pretty peaceful but when it comes to food...

I thought it might be nice to get little algae wafers for the shrimp. But as soon as one of those mini green things hits the bottom, man, the tetras are ALL over it. If a shrimp tries to get near, they WILL peck at the shrimp. OR, if during feeding time a shrimp makes a sudden move, they will be very interested in the one shrimp all of a sudden and might peck at it's tail. The last two times I lost a shrimp, it was right after an algae wafer went in. I stopped using them.

Maybe this is a question for the invertebrates forum, but all I can think about is if they gang up on a shrimp that maybe just molted, I'm sure they would devour it. These guys are like little piranhas on the algae wafers. What is killing them off?

My shelter WAS NOT adequate, but I THINK it's better now: my plants were still small and new when the shrimp when in. The plants got even smaller for the first week. After the two went missing, I put a pile of small granite rocks loosely, making a bunch of little caves. They seem to like this and I'm hoping it helps. Now the plants are 2-3 times the size they started and provide some hiding places.

But still, I'm concerned for the day i release my baby shrimp into the tank. And It's a 10g, Do you think the shrimp will even end up breeding, or is it too small (and dangerous)? The water quality and temperature seem right...

Back
Top Bottom