Beginner Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd love to start breeding fish, but I don't know where to begin. I've got another 10 gallon, in addition to my 75 gallon, that could be used if needed. I could use some suggestions on easy beginner fish to breed. I could also use some information on how to handle the fry after they've hatched. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
The easiest fish to breed are livebearers ( guppies, mollies, swordtails and platys ). Just get however many you want but make sure to only get 1 male to every 2 or even better 3 females. And the fry what I fed mine was crushed up omega one flakes which is what I fed the adults. Platys and swordtails are the biggest at about 4 inches ( I think ) mollies are more medium sized at 3 inches and guppies are tiny like 1.5 inches. Hope this helps ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Guppies are the easiest to breed (in my experience, ive got a billion fry right now from one mating.) They are smaller than platies/mollies.

If you don't want livebearers, get a pair of convicts. Although they wouldn't work in a community setting, and they're to large for your 10gal. They breed like rabbits, so make sure you have a way to sell/give them away!

Fishobsessed7

These are not fish, but cherry shrimp make great easy breeding creatures. You can get a good profit from em too!

For the tank make sure to use a sponge filter and NO substrate to make sure fry are protected. Heater if necessary. Remove the parents once the fry are free floating.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Have a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter. My favourite easy to breed fish are cory cats, pearl gouramis, zebra danios, and of course, livebearers.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Adding some fast growing plants like hornwort or anarcharis will help manage nitrates in between water changes

I use najas grass in as many breeding and fry tank as possible. A must for livebearers and awesome for cherry shrimp.

A nice breeding set up for a bigginer would be any small livebearer, cherry shrimp najas grass, some val and anubus.

I currently breed Endlers and a variety of neo shrimp. Just getting started with killies and my pair of scarlet badis was showing spawning behavior last night :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom