Betta breeders unite lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andjak

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a male Betta will build a bubble nest while the female is in the tank or does she have to be in another tank before he comes into condition she is showing the horizontal stripes saying shes ready and he seems interested but hasn't built a nest any ideas ?

Andjak said:
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a male Betta will build a bubble nest while the female is in the tank or does she have to be in another tank before he comes into condition she is showing the horizontal stripes saying shes ready and he seems interested but hasn't built a nest any ideas ?

Well I have 4 male bettas and they're all different.

My veil tail tommy who I have bred before builds ALL the time and very big ones (pic)

My other veil tail only builds when he sees a female but if he sees another male he wont

My crown tail only builds when he has competition with the other bettas

And my half moon is too young lol

My female only EVER has vertical (breeding) lines when Tommy is trying to get to her but gets stress lines when he's busy with his nest. So yeah all bettas are different and good luck :D I now have 18 babies and hope they will all survive!

Attachments

• image-2075310355.jpg
    image-2075310355.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
Wow that's an impressive bubble nest what is that's thing you have above it that it's been built in and so can u suggest any way to encourage my male to build I have a female in there but he doesn't build with her and there is I other male betas to compete with although I think he thinks my male sailfin Molly is a male as he's always giving it a lil chase what about your water is it slightly. Brackish or all fresh :s u seem to know what your doing with betas and I have only just started lol

Andjak said:
Wow that's an impressive bubble nest what is that's thing you have above it that it's been built in and so can u suggest any way to encourage my male to build I have a female in there but he doesn't build with her and there is I other male betas to compete with although I think he thinks my male sailfin Molly is a male as he's always giving it a lil chase what about your water is it slightly. Brackish or all fresh :s u seem to know what your doing with betas and I have only just started lol

Well I cleaned it out fully about last week and I cut half a styrofoam cup and let it float. This bubble nest is MUCH larger then the previous one. My water is fresh, all I add is dechlorinater and I have heaps of plants.
What do you feed him? I would suggest lots of live foods and maybe you need to check ammonia and PH levels. If he is happy he will build a nest even if he's not ready to breed.
I only bred once but I think it was just put of pure luck. My female started stoping eggs when I put her in the new tank so I quickly put her in my males tank (after several meetings) and they got straight to it :D I almost cried hehe.
Oh and how long has she been in there and it what?
Sorry for all the questions. Iv done so much research it's not even funny lol and I just applied at a pet store today because I want discounts on fish stuff hehe iv spent atleast 400 dollars on them but I guess I could have taken short cuts :D

She's been in the tank with him a 20 gal /70 litre for about 2-3 weeks and what a good idea the floating cup coz it creates a bit with no current right he jus doesn't seem to be building a nest at all I read online you should have a tank thanks half full and stuff :S

Andjak said:
She's been in the tank with him a 20 gal /70 litre for about 2-3 weeks and what a good idea the floating cup coz it creates a bit with no current right he jus doesn't seem to be building a nest at all I read online you should have a tank thanks half full and stuff :S

Has he ever built a nest before? If he's in a 20 gallon he should be happy. The half way thing is true but it's also very hard to maintain. When my bettas finally bred the tank was horrible and I couldnt do anything to it until the fry were two weeks old. But then the water got way to filthy and I had to transfer the fry once they were free swimming which took a while because I had to empty the tank cup by cup and search for any tiny fry. Oh and let's not forget the smell! All the crap at the bottom was HORRIBLE!

Send a picture of your male and female :D
It took me about a month to do all the research and another month to finally get my bettas to breed.

I did a whole big rearrange on the tank put In plenty more sight breakers and more plants also I figured if I needed a tank half full but couldn't lower the water I put in a bunch more rocks and I think he is starting to build a bubble nest he is just sitting :s ( if a fish can do that ) on the top of a plant and blowing bubbles behind himself but they keep popping :S I don't actually know what building a bubble nest looks like and no he has never built a nest before but he is only 3 weeks old and I will post pics just waiting for the sediment to settle again and I'll he right on it they are both tri colour Bettas the male really blue with a black face patch that extends
Over his show off bits (predator face) and has two red tendrils hanging low also red I between the spines of his fins and she is sort of the same colour but a lil more purple will get pics up as soon as I can :)

Do they blow bubbles through their gills ?

Andjak said:
I did a whole big rearrange on the tank put In plenty more sight breakers and more plants also I figured if I needed a tank half full but couldn't lower the water I put in a bunch more rocks and I think he is starting to build a bubble nest he is just sitting :s ( if a fish can do that ) on the top of a plant and blowing bubbles behind himself but they keep popping :S I don't actually know what building a bubble nest looks like and no he has never built a nest before but he is only 3 weeks old and I will post pics just waiting for the sediment to settle again and I'll he right on it they are both tri colour Bettas the male really blue with a black face patch that extends
Over his show off bits (predator face) and has two red tendrils hanging low also red I between the spines of his fins and she is sort of the same colour but a lil more purple will get pics up as soon as I can :)

Wow he sounds pretty! I think 3 weeks may be too young :S I don't know how old my betta, tommy is because he was a present but I know he is well over a year.
I'm not fully sure but I think you'd be better off going to a pet store and looking for a nice betta that might already have some bubbles. If a betta can be happy and ready at a pet store I'm sure he would be the best in your tank. Just feed him two times a day with some live foods for two weeks and he should start to build a bubble nest. If you really want to breed your own betta I would suggest waiting a few months :S

Try the styrofoam cup. I remember when I had a different betta in the breeding tank he didn't build a nest until he had a cup. Then I put some plants in and he built it there.
I guess you just need to explore alot of different things to find the right thing. I have a different technique for all of my bettas :D

Oh and iv also heard that some males only build the nest when he has the eggs in his mouth :S not so efficient lol

Well we men can be confused at times ahah :p I
Can't get another male as they will kill each other if I put them I'm the same tank which is. Such a shame I would love a red crowned Betta or half moon Betta so pretty lol you said you had like 5 males yeah ? How do you house them all I'm sitting
In front of
My tank and the male is just like floating at the top and it looks like he is gulping air and burping bubbles from his gills is that normal for building a nest I kinda thought it would be a little more animated of he was just double checking to make sure the behaviour isn't ill or anything I'm ok with waiting a while before I attempt to breed if this isn't the nest best to do it so they are all at the most ease then more chance of nice healthy fry what live foods do you suggest for him to increase his happy

Andjak said:
Well we men can be confused at times ahah :p I
Can't get another male as they will kill each other if I put them I'm the same tank which is. Such a shame I would love a red crowned Betta or half moon Betta so pretty lol you said you had like 5 males yeah ? How do you house them all I'm sitting
In front of
My tank and the male is just like floating at the top and it looks like he is gulping air and burping bubbles from his gills is that normal for building a nest I kinda thought it would be a little more animated of he was just double checking to make sure the behaviour isn't ill or anything I'm ok with waiting a while before I attempt to breed if this isn't the nest best to do it so they are all at the most ease then more chance of nice healthy fry what live foods do you suggest for him to increase his happy

Well I have 4 males, 3 are in separators and one is in the breeding tank. I have one of my old tanks inside the breeding tank aswell with the female in it. Then I have another tank with all my betta fry and my snails in :D I never saw my fish starting the nest but when I came back from school it was already there and when he was building in it, it was pretty obvious. My males in the separators don't need heaters. Because they can tolerate the cold and my room is always warm. I only have heaters in my fry and breeder tank. But be warned once you get another betta you won't be able to stop impulse buying :O
And you men make everything hard. My female betta is my favorite because she has the most personality :D

Oh and I feed my bettas live black worms because they are pretty cheap and I feed them through a syringe that you can get from a pharmacy for like a dollar.

See I have my Bettas In a community tank a tank In tank is a brilliant idea I'll try and find some black worm and give that a go I was thinking brine shrimp as its good for most fry

Andjak said:
See I have my Bettas In a community tank a tank In tank is a brilliant idea I'll try and find some black worm and give that a go I was thinking brine shrimp as its good for most fry

Yeah but you can't over feed because black worms are an easy swim bladder causerer :S so do you have mostly females and or male? Or a male and other fish :S apparently having other fish with the female conditions her faster :D

I have a male and two females my new female is white with red tints an the two females are with other fish and so is the male :)

Back
Top Bottom