Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Male and Female Betta in Community Tank?

• Total voters

inno

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male betta in my community tank who is doing very good, he is super active and does not bother any of the other fish. The tank is only a few months old and I have been slowly adding fish to it. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a female betta in with him or if this might make him more aggresive.

I have 8 other fish and it is a 29 gallon tank live planted with lots of caves. 4 guppies, 2 danios, and 2 platies.

It would most likely make him aggressive because when they get to were they want to breed its kinda rough

Putting males and females in the same tank is not a good idea unless it is for spawning, and even for spawning the female shouldn't be released to be with the male until both are properly conditioned and the female is ready. They will fight, and either one is likely to kill the other.

While some people do get away with this type setup, it's not recommended, especially in smaller tanks. It's not about how many other fish are in there, it's about if the male can find the female and she does not respond properly to him. I've had cases when breeding where the male would chase down the female and beat the crap out of her for what appeared to only be, because he wasn't finished building his nest. Then again, I've heard of successful pairs being kept together but that was in a 4' long tank not a 30" tank. If it were me, I'd not do it. ;)

Not advisable..one of the bettas may die. The courtship routine is violent to say the least. My two females I moved to the breeding tank are still recovering from that. And the male took lumps as well. Cohabitation will lead to violence and one may kill the other. I would not do it or consider it. And any eggs or fry produced are doomed, by the parents or other fish...

And you can if you do some research on betta breeding. It isn't like guppies, just add male and female and Viola! you got fry!! You CAN keep a female in the community and the male elsewhere. Introduce them in a divided breeding tank, wait til she gets eggy and undivide the tank. Be ready for fireworks!
But as cohabitants, they will not live peaceably. Too many factors involved. Plus other fish may end up as victims to the bettas ire. Just remember These are Siamese fighting fish and they named 'em that for a reason! They are breed for violence and can kill. During the times I visited Thailand, Fighting bettas IS like a national sport among the people. Same as Cockfighting is a big hit in the Philippines. These fish CAN be deadly to themselves and others, they are in some cases, bred to be. We keep them because of the brilliant colors and wonderful personalities, but in Thailand many are bred to be scaled gladiators. And 'to the death' fights were not uncommon. I witnessed several personally.
I got 7 males myself and keep them all out of line of sight of each other. Or they tend to flare and threaten their neighbors endlessly. And I have like 6 females who all live together in one tank. Yes the ladies do squabble, alot! the have a hiarchy they follow.
Some of the females are stunning as well and can live peacefully in a community...you could add one of them, and still have a male in another tank. It's a thought!;)

It would be fun to breed them, but as of right now I only have the one tank. I just have been trying to decide what fish to add next and that was my first thought since the betta is my favorite. He is pretty neat swimming through plants and jumping out of the water for bloodworms.

My friend has a 20 gallon fish tank with 4 female bettas and 1 male betta.They sometimes chase eatchother, but nothing else.Even if my friend managed to do it,I wouldn't recommend you try it to.Her betta's temperment is very good,and she was alot of plants and caves so they can hide.Unless you are willing to risk the fish,I wouldn't do .it

Why would you want to risk the fish? You are the care taker, and you make all their decisions about their lively hood. The bettas can't choose where they want to live, so you need to think about what's best for them and not for you.

Why would you want to risk the fish? You are the care taker, and you make all their decisions about their lively hood. The bettas can't choose where they want to live, so you need to think about what's best for them and not for you.

Well at first I thought it would be good for him to have a female. "not knowing much about it" But now I know that its not a good Idea. I was thinking about what would be best for him which is why I posted this thread in the first place. To make sure I was not making a mistake. After everyone's replies I decided to not add a female.

Well at first I thought it would be good for him to have a female. "not knowing much about it" But now I know that its not a good Idea. I was thinking about what would be best for him which is why I posted this thread in the first place. To make sure I was not making a mistake. After everyone's replies I decided to not add a female.

I think you made a very wise choice there. (y) Trust me, I've thought about doing a better sorority with a male betta, but I just don't want to wake up with a bunch of dead fish in the morning one day. :ermm:

I think you made a very wise choice there. (y) Trust me, I've thought about doing a better sorority with a male betta, but I just don't want to wake up with a bunch of dead fish in the morning one day. :ermm:

Yeah he is my buddy, I just wanted to see if there was something I could do to spice up his life even more. lol.

Back
Top Bottom