Betta spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just put a male and female betta together in a tank and things appear to be going normally. There's no spawning occuring yet and I cannot watch the tank constantly. If I miss the deed, is there a good way to tell? Are the eggs visible in the bubble nest?

At 24hrs the eggs begin to hatch releasing barely developed babies. If you shine a light from below, you will see tiny tails pointing straight downward. In another 24hrs, the fry will start dropping from the bubble nest and dart back up on their own. Day three, the fry will be swimming and searching for food.

As long as there are eggs in the nest.. the male should be constantly tending to them. you should remove the female soon after spawning . After the eggs hatch, leave the male to tend to the fry and put them back when they fall from the nest... to make the males job easier.. you can lower the water to abbout 4 inches, and remove the male after the 3rd day when the fry are free swimming. Feed them infusioria ( put lettuce in boiling water and let it sit for 5 days.. the water will contain microscopic organisms to feed your fry for the 1st few days.. the feed them new hatched bbs, and micro worms/vinegar eels and so fourth. If you have no/very fine gravel you wil be able to see the eggs on the floor of your tank.. add some java moss or floating plants and half a styrofoam cup to make it easier for the male if ya want ;).

Back
Top Bottom