Bosemani Rainbows Spawning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think that is what it is called. Anyway I have 2 Bosemani Rainbows who have been chasing each other around and staying close while in QT. There is also 1 other Bosemani (who hides most of the time) and an Australian Rainbow. I have never taken care of eggs or baby fish.

My question is should I just take them all and put them in the 75 gallon and let it be or should i leave them in QT alone for a while and see if they lay eggs?

Thanks!

I'll be following this thread because I am curious as to see what happens. If they are not fully QT'd I would leave them there for fear of sickness to the other fish in your 75g. Just my opinion tho.

They will have been in for 4 full weeks as of 11-13. No signs of anything. I can leave them in for another two. Just curious because of their interest.

I've read 4 to 6 weeks qt is best. I know nothing about this breed of fish so I am not sure what their natural mating behavior is. I am interested to see what others have to say. Did you look under "Articles" and then "fish profiles" to see if they are listed?

About your fish.

Male Bosemani is front 1/2 blue(ish), back 1/2 yellow(ish)
Female Bosemani is kinda speckled and brown(ish).

If that's the case with your fish, then they are spawning. It can take a while for the female to accept the male. She also needs to be old enough to produce eggs. When she has they will rut and spawn. It's fairly violent looking at climax. They will spawn every other day and many times every day and usually early in the morning when the lights are on. They really like soft fluffy plants. My fish love the floating plants as a spawning ground. There's nothing wrong with being creative here.

As for eggs. They may start eating them right away. It save the eggs, remove the adult fish right after the eggs are laid.

Back
Top Bottom