Braziliensis babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romdom515

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My braziliensis have unexpectedly laid eggs in my large main tank, and now the babies are swimming around, I have divided the parents and the babies from the rest of the fish population.

Now my question is, should I remove the male from the mother and babies? He is twice the size of the female and I don't want him hurting the female or eating the babies is something goes wrong. I have spare aquariums to move them to, the the only question I was wondering is if the male should be kept with the mother, thanks! :)

personally, i think you should watch them for maybe a day and see how protective he is of the fry. if he is sorta careless, imo you should remove the dad as he may feel hungry and not care for the fry other than for dinner.

congrats!! these are beautiful cichlids and i hope u get to raise the babies :) x

He's been good for the last couple of weeks, when it's feeding time, they switch, so when the male eats the female watches over the babies and when the male comes back the female goes up to eat lol it's cute.

He's really protective of the babies, if one swims off by accident he grabs the baby in his mouth and spits it back where the rest are.

Thanks for the quick reply :) they're really nice fish! It's exciting!

are you kidding? he's not even a mouth brooder and is doing THAT? u are one mega lucky braziliensis owner :D

how many do u think are there? x

Iv never herd of these.. Can u post pics of them, nd cichlids do that my rams did that when there fry swam away from the rest

There is a batch of at least 40 of the little guys, some would've gotten eaten over night by catfish before I put dividers in.

Here are some photos, the dad was too aggressive to get a photo of, he didn't wanna stay still lol

Attachments

• image-2484770359.jpg
    image-2484770359.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3278880135.jpg
    image-3278880135.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1302506316.jpg
    image-1302506316.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom