Breeding german blue rams in a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishking22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been told that this is too small on several occasions. I have also read from people that have successfully bread them say that the conditions just need to be watched more carefully. I was looking at breeding the rams in my 10g tank, would this be a good idea? I like the colors yet the size is so small. I have a few caves, and about 5 or so plastic plants and I was looking at getting some horizontal moss to go around and a small piece of driftwood. What should the conditions be for the water parameters? I have read a very acidic water is best for breeding. Along with warm water. Anything else I should worry about? How many GBR's should I buy at the start? I was thinking 2 male 2 female. Thanks everyone-

you can breed them in a 10g, I've done it before. That said, it's really not an ideal tank size for the fish. Since GBRs are notoriously bad parents, the whole purpose for me was to get certain pairs to spawn and then I would remove their eggs. Otherwise I just use a group setting in a larger tank and let them pair off naturally and pull eggs as laid.

Since rams love to up and die for no reason I suggest the largest tank feasible.

See, my 100g is full. And my room is full cuz of the 100g. 10g was the most available space.

jetajockey said:
you can breed them in a 10g, I've done it before. That said, it's really not an ideal tank size for the fish. Since GBRs are notoriously bad parents, the whole purpose for me was to get certain pairs to spawn and then I would remove their eggs. Otherwise I just use a group setting in a larger tank and let them pair off naturally and pull eggs as laid.

Since rams love to up and die for no reason I suggest the largest tank feasible.

What was the last thing u were trying to say? Love to up and die?

german blue rams have a bad reputation for just dieing for noooo reason. you would HAVE to heavily plant the 10 gallon and do 50% water changes a week bc theyre sensitive to nitrates.

I have very healthy home bred rams in a 40g tank, planted, and they still die randomly from time to time. That said I prefer using much larger and lightly stocked tanks since more water volume = cleaner water.

Nitrate control should be done through frequent water changes. Plants will eat nitrates also, but don't depend on them to do it.

Back
Top Bottom