Breeding Pair on Cons for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pufferfreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a 55 gallon tank with the following:

1 Pink Convict
2 Firemouths
2 Blood Parrots
A large School of Corries
and 6 Big ol' Black Skirt Tetras

I was wondering if I could get a pair of Zebra Convicts. I know they are mean, esspecially when they would spawn. But I have tons of rock caves, plants, bog wood, ext. How would it be if I bought these two fish? Thanks!

All bets are off with these guys. When they do breed they will take over whatever part of the tank they want (usually right in the middle). The agression level in the tank will definitely go up. If any of your other fish go near the Cons fry they will get attacked. And a pink con will breed with a striped con. So it is quite possible that you only need to add one Convict to this tank. The result of these two breeding would give you mostly striped Cons.

I would sat 50-50 chance with parrot and firemouth, less than 50% chance for the tetras and cories. I would actually say no chance for these. Eventually at least one will get taken out by the Cons, and possibly all of them.

There's a lot of potential aggression in the tank at present (I'm assuming the BPs are still fairly small?).

A breeding pair of convicts would probably turn your tank into a war zone. They'll claim (at least) half the tank as their own. What's left over will be up for grabs for the rest of the fish- which leads to more fighting. The firemouths and cory cats wouldn't stand a chance...

If you're interested in breeding cons, I'd suggest setting up a separate tank for a breeder pair.:)

Back
Top Bottom