breeding platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have a 10 gal with 2 platys 1 guppy 1 tiger elnder and 1 upside down catfish. The 2 platys I have right now are females. I was wondering if I get a male and simply let them breed without doing anythng special to save the fry will many of them survive? I don't want to end up with a crazy number of fish in my tank but if a few do survive I have a local pet shop that will take them for me.

I have a few hiding place. So I assumed that maybe a few would survive if I were lucky. But I was just checking

Platy babies are fast and can hide pretty much anywhere if you have decorations in the tank there's a chance a few will survive. Just some advice platys and guppies need to be in groups of 3 or more with a 2 to 1 (2 females for every 1 male) ratio. I had a male guppy by himself for a while and he started nipping at my other fishes.

Thanks for the advice I was considering getting more Guppies. I just wanted to wait a bit because I just got a couple of fish and I don't want to oveload the filter all at once. If I do get more guppies though I probably will only get males is that ok?

In my experience they never survived. I had a similar set up as you in a 10 gal. I think it was because they did not find enough food to eat, but then again I only had plastic plants at the time. Live plants would be better for you, things like java moss would provide cover and some stuff for fry to eat. If you want success you're better off making a fry tank or at least getting a breeding trap to hang in your 10 gal, but a new tank is easy to make if you have a sponge and airhose: a sponge filter! :) i keep my fry in large tupperwares haha! I have no space to another tank, hence the tupperwares.

So, I recommend live plants if you want to increase chances of fry surviving in the 10 gal with your other fish. Particularly java moss or guppy moss!

I was actaully just hoping maybe a few would surivive and the ones that did I could take to my lfs. I just thought breeding would be interesting to try I just was concerned with ending up with to many fish but if most of them don't survive without outside help then I may consider it.

Well I have no experience with fish having fry in the community, I put my females in a net breeder when they're ready to give birth, I have a portion of my tank separated off just for the fry where the bigger fish can't get them. Currently I have 30 fry from 3 different moms I've only lost 4 and given 4 away.

Back
Top Bottom