Breeding Yo-Yos ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had any success in breeding yo-yo Loaches?

I noticed some odd behavior in my loaches this morning, where their colors basically dropped into a muted gray/silvery color ... meaning all their black stripes had faded ... then they were rubbing up against each other and swimming very close and "pecking" at each other ... lets just say I've never seen them do this with each other.

Does anyone know anything about yo-yos and how they breed? Are they egg layers? live bearers? Should I be looking for eggs or anything. I'd love to actually get a chance to rear some yo-yo fry.

This is only the 2nd time I've seen them do anything like this in the 5 years I've had them.

Only trigger I can think of is that I did do a water change yesterday, but that's nothing new.

I agree with RoK. If I'm not mistaken the only loach to have spawned in an aquarium is the Kuhli loach. I heard that Clown loaches have been induced to spawn in captivity in Asia by using hormone injections...not sure if this is true. Has anyone else heard of this?

Bryan

I have heard two things about spawning loaches. It can be done with hormone injection as large breeders. Or, if you were to even attempt to spawn them you would need to simulate a years worth of seasonal and food changes to get them in condition at the right time. This I heard from a speaker who was talking about "egg-scatterers".

As for the faded colors, with a Yo-Yo that is nothing to worry about. I have seen what you describe with mine. I would have sworn they were gonna spawn, but nothing seemed to come of it.

Back
Top Bottom