Correctly feeding fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you know if you are feeding fry right. I am worried that I am either giving them to much to little. My babies are only 3 days old, I am feeding them 3 times a day 2 feedings of HBH baby bites which is guppy and fry fish food and 1 feeding of crush frozen brine shrimp. Is it to much? All the babies seem to be doing really well so far.

How do you know if you are feeding fry right. I am worried that I am either giving them to much to little. My babies are only 3 days old, I am feeding them 3 times a day 2 feedings of HBH baby bites which is guppy and fry fish food and 1 feeding of crush frozen brine shrimp. Is it to much? All the babies seem to be doing really well so far.

Since you didn't specify which fish fry you have, I tried to address both types.
There are a couple of rules that apply to both egglayer fry and livebearer fry. #1, if you have food left over on the bottom of the tank, you are overfeeding. #2 If that food funguses over, you are not doing enough water changes either. #3If you have your fry in a tank with substrate, use snails as a cleanup crew so there won't be leftover food.
With egglayer fry, you will be able to see their bellies so you will know if you are feeding enough. If you are using foods like baby brine shrimp, the fry's bellies will be orange colored so you can see if all have been eating. The ones without the orange bellies aren't getting enough food.:brows:
Livebearer fry are just a little harder in that you will need to watch the fry when you feed to see if they are feeding. YOU have to follow that up with looking at the fry to see if they have bigger bellies than before you fed.

Hope this helps (y)

Yeah I agree with that, check their bellies ;) my mollies are 5week old and 3 days old and I can see their little bellies fill up so I know they are ok, I give them little amounts 3 times a day so I know everyone gets a full belly , by the way the 5 week old are in an 80 litre and the 3 day old are in a 25 litre ... I've just put 8 of the 5 week old ones in my 200litre and they love it :)

Fwiw, there is a fair bit of evidence that live or frozen foods are better for fry than man made dry foods are. Depending on species, they have varying need for some things such as Omega 3 fats, which typically need to be from animal sources, not plant sources, unless the fish is a vegetarian type. Not many fish are total vegetarians. Omnivores and carnivores really need some animal fats in their diet, from live food if you can get it, frozen if that's just not possible.

Brine shrimp are one source, but only the baby ones are really good food sources, by the time they are 24 to 48 yours old, they have lost much of their value as fry food. You might be able to get frozen Baby brine shrimp, BBS, if you look.

Other live foods often found frozen would be daphnia or bloodworms, though those would have to be crushed too, until the fry grow some. Fruit fly larvae are another good food, but unless you can get flightless flies, they can be quite a nuisance

Micro or banana worms or walter worms are all very good fry foods, and not difficult to culture. Vinegar eels are quite easy to culture too, but may not be quite a nutritious as the other worm types.

Micro and banana worms are quite high in fats, thus quite good food for fry of most types. Micro worms live about four or five days once in the tank, so there isn't so much worry about them dying, and many fry will pick them off the tank bottom and save having to feed so often too. I keep my Endler fry in a bare brood tank and just add more worms when I see there are none left. They are easy to see wiggling on the bare bottom. Banana worms are about half the size of micro worms, walter worms about the same as banana worms. I am not sure why they are called banana worms, unless it's because they live well on mashed banana, but they are actually harmless nematodes, as are microworms as well.

Before modern fish foods were invented, all fish keepers had to culture or catch live food for all of their fish and fry.

I agree live is the only way to go if you can. With that said, many egg layers fry are too small for BBS and most worms. For egg layers, I use green water with micro worms added after the second day of free swimming. Betta, barb, tetra fry all benefit from the green water. By using it for the first 7-10 days you insure the slower growing fry don't fall further behind the fast growing fry. Decaplulated BBS is a good substute if hatching shrimp is not practial. You can get all this stuff at Brineshrimpdirect.com

Do you know which species have the tiniest fry ?

I culture greenwater, to feed fan shrimp, clams, when I still had them, and larval shrimp, which for the most part need foods sized less than 5 microns.. are there fry that need food this small also ?

Back
Top Bottom