Could they be a mating pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaimeEB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. I got a couple of baby Jack Dempseys from a friend in late April and in the couple months since I've had them they've grown at least an inch. My question is that at 2" long, and only 4 months old, is it possible they could be a pair, or are they still just schooling? The only differences between the two are that one is slightly smaller than the other and slightly lighter in color as well. But wherever one goes, the other follows. Just curious, I don't really have any intentions of breeding.
They're in a 55 gallon aquarium by the way.

Nope not even close yet to pairing, if you have a male and female. They don't reach sexual maturity until 12-18 months.

They could be but you probably won't be able to tell until they get at least 4'' long.

You will need a bigger home for them when they become full grown, sooner if they decide to Or you might need a second 55 to split them up.

Good luck with them. I love mine.

Thank's you guys. I did do a little research after posting this and they are definitely still too young. I love my new aquarium and I've been known to be a little obsessive when I get started with something lol. So of course after getting my 55 gal set up I already want more and bigger. I'll probably be getting a 75 or 100 gal tank in the next year, and have decided to put my Central/South American cichlids in the bigger aquarium and keep some African Cichlids in the 55 gal set up! :D

Agreed. The male, if there is one, will get much larger than females as well.

I've had pairs form up at around 11 or 12 months, and when they did, they made short work of the others in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom