DREAM guppy breeding setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
Be been on here or for a while and seen and read about people's guppy fry. And I've always wanted to start breeding fish and wanted I start with guppies.

I Know all I need and how to do it, but I want to make the best setup I can. Trying not to leave anything out.

I would love input from everybody who has breed guppies and has an idea of a good setup and together possibly create and ideal and dream guppy breeding setup.

Okay maybe not like out of reach or impossible setup but definitely something somebody could produce.

Any tips, comments, advice and definitely pictures of people setups and anything breeding wise would be welcome.

Dream setup? I'd start with a multilevel rack, small tanks on top, big tanks on bottom. Small tanks have breeding groups/pairs in them, isolate gravid females in small tanks as well. After they birth, move the fry to one of the bigger tanks below for growout. That's a good start. In lieu of a tank rack setup, multiple tanks with lots of cover works well also.

Yeah well maybe not a "dream" setup. But one that will make me feel professional i guess haha.

Well maybe like 2 or 3 tens and a 20 or possibly 2 if I'm lucky.

Cool. The amount of tanks you plan to have will determine how many strains you should work with. That is unless you are just doing a big mixup mashup of strains and it doesn't matter.

Well I don't really want to like breed specific colors. I haven't really thought about that. I just want to get into breeding and them eventually breed egg bearers and get better fish to sell to actually make money off this amazing hobby.

Oh okay, then just a basic tank like a 20g full of guppies and then a growout tank (bigger the better) to place the fry in as you find them. If you really want you can use breeding nets and all that, but you should have a decent fry survival rate if you put in lots of cover.

Yeah I've heard people use those before. Do they just simpy float on the water ?

So water sprite floats and I would he to tie the java moss onto something? Sorry I'm just clearing this up.

Hmm..I am getting interested in this also :) can someone direct me to a good tutorial on breeding guppies and maybe some pictures of your breeding setup? I think I would like to do fancy tail guppies. I can probably dedicate a 40b and 2 10 gallon tanks.

Thanks

I'm just starting as well and I don't have all my tanks or anything but when I have them and set them up I'll post some pictures on here. But I would love to see others pictures of their setups. That's would be amazing.

You don't have to tie the moss to anything, I don't tie mine.

As far as setups go, there's a lot out there. I don't have any specialized setups for the most part, I just let my guppies do their thing in their own tanks. I have some outside in tubs also for the summer.

It seems like the larger the tank you can put them in, the better, it gives the fry a chance to get away from the parents.

I'm plan on having several tanks to place the mothers do they can birth the fry them removing the mothers. Something like that.

I plan on having a couple tens to put he mothers in and then remove the mothers and put them in the larger tank and leave the fry in the ten to grow out. And eventually put them into te larger tank. I don't exactly have it all planned out yet.

Back
Top Bottom